Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Max still has green tint screen after updating to iOS 14.3

I‘ve been told by that Apple has been aware of the issue and will roll out a fix for it.

However, I updated my iPhone 12 Pro Max right after iOS 14.3 was released. But the green tint issue still exists; pixels seem to glow green instead of going to completely dark in low-light environment. Is this a hardware issue that Apple cannot fix? Or Apple prefers to recall all the devices a year later.

Green tint appears on my device with below settings:

• Cold winter: lower than 0 degree celsius when I'm jogging outside my house.
  • Dark mode.
  • Adaptive display.
  • Low brightness: around zero brightness.

Look forward to Apple's reply on this.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 5:58 PM

Guys I actually tried something that worked out for me. I’ve had the green tint since day one and it was very annoying, specially at night time while watching videos. My green tint was horrible, like as bad as it could get.

I simply tried turning off True Tone & night shift and, problem was solved. I don’t know which one of both options fixed it because I turned both off, and don’t even want to risk turning any of the back on, but it immediately corrected the green tint and it has been days and no sign of it.

And when I say my case was a bad one, believe me. I had read all the forums looking for a solution, all the comments on videos to see if some one had a fix and nothing.

I don’t know if this will be a solution to everyone because I don’t think it could be such a simple fix and no one say anything about it, because I have not read of anyone propose this as a solution, but it was for me.

ust wanted to update on what got it fixed for me and hopefully this will help some of you guys out.

129 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 5:58 PM in response to ChaChen

Guys I actually tried something that worked out for me. I’ve had the green tint since day one and it was very annoying, specially at night time while watching videos. My green tint was horrible, like as bad as it could get.

I simply tried turning off True Tone & night shift and, problem was solved. I don’t know which one of both options fixed it because I turned both off, and don’t even want to risk turning any of the back on, but it immediately corrected the green tint and it has been days and no sign of it.

And when I say my case was a bad one, believe me. I had read all the forums looking for a solution, all the comments on videos to see if some one had a fix and nothing.

I don’t know if this will be a solution to everyone because I don’t think it could be such a simple fix and no one say anything about it, because I have not read of anyone propose this as a solution, but it was for me.

ust wanted to update on what got it fixed for me and hopefully this will help some of you guys out.

Dec 16, 2020 9:56 PM in response to ChaChen

I’m having the same issue. I found a easy way to get the green tint to display. I go into a nearly pitch black room to see it easier. Then go into the software update menu in settings in dark mode. Then I move the brightness slider somewhere between 40-80%. Then the glow clearly shows up. Sometimes it disappears for a split second and then returns. Never happens on very low brightness or 90%- above.

Feb 12, 2021 8:38 AM in response to northsever

I know with IPS panels, that's pretty normal--I have two (2) monitors that look exactly like that on all-black backgrounds.

Unknown if that's normal with OLED screens, however. --If Apple said it's normal, then it very well must be. I've not noticed it on my 12 Pro Max but that doesn't mean it's not there, either.

No harm in getting a second opinion for peace of mind, though.

northsever wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/07d18323-4c55-4cd4-9e61-8bd293f910e9
The same issue with my new iPhone 12, the light green on the left upside, The same was at 14.3 iOS, 14.4, and now 14.5 open beta with it, seems to me that nothing will be changed. I sent my device to the service, Apple sent it back with a text “ no issues have been found”

Feb 15, 2021 4:27 AM in response to ChaChen

Have the same issue - a green tint to my screen and photos is I try to take a pic on 1x in low level lighting. I have sent my phone back to Apple twice and both times they have returned it stating they can find no issue! Guys I spoke to in customer care was helpful and he took a full description of how to replicate the issue for when I sent it back the second time but still no joy.

This is a screen shot of the green tint that comes on...it isn't even that dark I just took it under my desk where there is less natural lighting! Frustratingly if I take a photo, it also has the green tinge.

Feb 25, 2021 10:02 PM in response to ChaChen

I am facing the same problem and this is already my third iphone 12 showing the same issue. I was finally able to get one ip12 that does not present the problem and maybe I can take it to the authorized apple center, since the previous 3 I took them and when they compared them with the ones they had in stock they declared that there is no issue at all and that it is related to software, that I should wait for an official announcement from apple on this matter and i see that since november. wow!

Mar 5, 2021 3:18 PM in response to edmond94

I have found a wonderful tip. It makes no sense, but wow 🤩

If you open a black picture (like a screenshot of the home with black background) you can screenshot it and in a dark room you can note that black isn’t black and the display isn’t off like a true oled has to. if you take screenshot of the screenshot a lot of times the next screenshot will be every time less black and more backlighted. If you are in a dark room you can zoom the last screenshot and then take another screenshot. When you zoom the very last screenshot in a dark room you can view display architecture. You can view something like pixels blue red and green. Is it possible? It’s stunning. I’m shocked.

Mar 6, 2021 4:31 AM in response to frango98

I tried to see what I sad yesterday and it’s very difficult. You must be in a very dark room for sometime before you can see it.

I thought to change parameters like light contrast brightness of the screenshot from Photos app. Now you can view what I sad yesterday! Watch the picture postproducted! It was born as a screenshot of a screenshot of a screenshot….. of a totally black screen on my iPhone 12

May 26, 2021 5:15 PM in response to taras263

This photo turn it side and in a dark room in a 50% brightness not less ok you will see something on the black edge turn on and off like tiny greenish not that pure green you will understand what i mean taras263 while you check this picture besides while you are in the dark room keep clicking your finger while the phone is turn side and you can see a light than it shut off and you see pure black than touch the screen again and you can see light flickers and return pure black try it and let me know don’t tell me you replace and everything fine keep your eyes opened

iPhone 12 Pro Max still has green tint screen after updating to iOS 14.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.