Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Glitches on Big Sur

Wasn't able to find another topic on this, but since upgrading to MacOS Big Sur on a 15" mid-2014 MacBook Pro, I have been seeing occasional compression glitches in images. This can occur on websites, in QuickLook, Final Cut X, so it must be a system level issue. I experienced a similar thing on a 2010 iMac 27" when the graphics card was dying, but this seems to be related to the Big Sur update. Some sample images attached of the glitch (so I am able to screenshot them rather than it being a monitor issue).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 3:18 AM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2020 3:52 AM in response to dialabrain

Final Cut Pro X and QuickLooks also show these sorts of glitches. The problem is not unique to this specific website, I just provided a sample. The Greek diagonal squares and blue purple squares in the top left plot are what I see on many images in all these apps. Glad we have one example of it not occurring though.

I wonder if my Graphics card is getting old can cause this? It’s a top spec mid-2014 MBP 15”

Graphics Glitches on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.