Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac upgraded toe OS to 11.1 last night and now all the folders previously on the desktop are missing. I want them back!

My Mac upgraded toe OS to 11.1 last night and now all the folders previously on the desktop are missing. Where did they go and how do I get them back?

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 5:51 AM

After downloading and updating to 11.1 Big Sur asked me if I wanted to use iCloud to backup the Documents and Desktop folders. You'll likely clicked on the yes button as it was selected by default.

Check Finder, iCloud. You'll likely have to download the missing files from your iCloud.

4 replies

Dec 15, 2020 5:49 AM in response to michael41

I saw the same thing on two computers after the 11.1 update...it looks like it deselected iCloud Drive.

If you were previously syncing your Desktop and Documents folders with iCloud Drive, go to System Preferences > Apple ID and make sure iCloud Drive is selected. Also, select "Options..." next to iCloud Drive and make sure "Desktop and Documents Folders" is selected.

My Mac upgraded toe OS to 11.1 last night and now all the folders previously on the desktop are missing. I want them back!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.