Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled Water on Macbook Pro keyboard, can I repair this?

I have a 15" mid-2012 unibody Macbook Pro, A1286. About two weeks ago I finally upgraded the internal drive to a 1TB SSD and it was like a dream. Then this past Wednesday, a caught peripheral cable knocked over a nearby glass of water onto my keyboard. I immediately flipped it upside down and mashed the power button, got impatient with the auto-shutdown and selected shutdown with the keys (while still upside down). I let it sit, open and main case upside down for 96 hours.

Monday morning I follow a take-apart guide to make sure I don't see any water inside. Once I realize the keyboard area is pretty much sealed off from the rest of the machine I put it back together. I press the power button and nothing. I press and hold longer and nothing. I check the battery level indicator is full. I plug the power cable up to it and it starts booting like normal – without me pressing the power button again. I give it some light testing, all keys work with the exception of left side Shift, Control, and Option. I shut it down to start researching that issue.

Later in the day I try booting it again on battery and nothing. I follow the same procedure as before and it boots after I connect the power cable. I shut it down again, wait a few moments and try booting again and nothing.

So basically the power button doesn't seem to be fully functional at the moment. When I did get it booted up I didn't try powering it down by pressing the power button, just through the menu. Seeing as I have some dead keys as it is, would this be worth trying to fix on my own? Does this sound mostly like swapping out the Top Case (Upper Case) would do the trick? There's a huge discrepancy between new and used prices for Top Cases – $300+ new, $20-40 used based on cosmetic condition, which I don't care about, so if this could end up being a $20 fix I'd be sooooo happy.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 8:38 PM

You can disconnect the keyboard cable from the Logic Board and use the power on pads found on the Logic Board to power on the laptop. If the laptop runs Ok this way, then all you may need is a replacement Top Case Assembly. Keep in mind it can be hard to see water residue or damage on the Logic Board so there may be no way of knowing for sure whether the Logic Board has been damaged. Given time you may discover corrosion developing on the Logic Board, but this doesn't always happen right away.

https://beetstech.com/blog/where-are-macbook-pro-unibody-power-on-pads-located

Did you remove the Logic Board to check the other side?

Just be careful ordering a replacement Top Case Assembly. You need to get one for your exact model MBPro (mid 2012). While the Top Case Assembly for a 2011 model looks the same, there are some very subtle differences (one mounting post is about a 1mm or 2mm offset and the optical drive bay is ever so slightly different. I know this because someone bought a Top Case Assembly online hoping to do the repair themselves and decided to pay me to do the work. Turned out he was sold the incorrect part, but I was able to make it work by performing some case modifications. Not all online sellers know or care about what they are selling, so be careful and make sure they have a good reputation and return policy.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 15, 2020 8:38 PM in response to fooschmack50

You can disconnect the keyboard cable from the Logic Board and use the power on pads found on the Logic Board to power on the laptop. If the laptop runs Ok this way, then all you may need is a replacement Top Case Assembly. Keep in mind it can be hard to see water residue or damage on the Logic Board so there may be no way of knowing for sure whether the Logic Board has been damaged. Given time you may discover corrosion developing on the Logic Board, but this doesn't always happen right away.

https://beetstech.com/blog/where-are-macbook-pro-unibody-power-on-pads-located

Did you remove the Logic Board to check the other side?

Just be careful ordering a replacement Top Case Assembly. You need to get one for your exact model MBPro (mid 2012). While the Top Case Assembly for a 2011 model looks the same, there are some very subtle differences (one mounting post is about a 1mm or 2mm offset and the optical drive bay is ever so slightly different. I know this because someone bought a Top Case Assembly online hoping to do the repair themselves and decided to pay me to do the work. Turned out he was sold the incorrect part, but I was able to make it work by performing some case modifications. Not all online sellers know or care about what they are selling, so be careful and make sure they have a good reputation and return policy.

Spilled Water on Macbook Pro keyboard, can I repair this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.