Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable startup chime in Catalina??

Seems like the latest security fix also enabled the annoying startup chime in Catalina. For Big Sur there is a setting to disable it but I cannot find one in Catalina.

MBP 16" (2019)

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 8:36 AM

5 replies

Dec 15, 2020 8:45 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Since this was a new feature supposedly to be in Big Sur I exepect that to be in Big Sur (with the option to shut it off!) and not in Catalina.

As a "valuable indicator" I would have agreed on my on Mac IIcx with a Radius Two-Page monitor card that sometimes acted up, but on any modern laptop since 1997 you have a screen perfectly good for displaying diagnostic messages.

Dec 15, 2020 6:51 PM in response to Mattias Sandstrom

Mattias Sandstrom wrote:

Since this was a new feature supposedly to be in Big Sur I exepect that to be in Big Sur (with the option to shut it off!) and not in Catalina.

actually, it's not a new feature. it goes back at least as far as OS X 10.6 snow leopard.(which was on my first mac) they took it away as a default in catalina and people wined and cried enough that apple re-introduced it. and yes, even while it was "gone" you could still turn it off or on with the terminal commands.

How to disable startup chime in Catalina??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.