Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Startup Chime?

I do not see this option on my iMac 2020 Catalina OS to disable startup sound... What should I do to disable the sound chime at startup?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 12:10 PM

for some reason apple removed the chime in catalina. you should be able to reactivate and/or deactivate the chime with terminal commands.

to enable it, open terminal (found in applications > utilities) and paste in this command

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

and enter your password when asked.

then restart your mac to test. if that didn't work, you can try disabling it before re-enabling it. to disable it, paste in this command in terminal.

sudo nvram StartupMute=%01

again enter your password when asked.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 12:10 PM in response to keonedrew

for some reason apple removed the chime in catalina. you should be able to reactivate and/or deactivate the chime with terminal commands.

to enable it, open terminal (found in applications > utilities) and paste in this command

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

and enter your password when asked.

then restart your mac to test. if that didn't work, you can try disabling it before re-enabling it. to disable it, paste in this command in terminal.

sudo nvram StartupMute=%01

again enter your password when asked.

How to disable Startup Chime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.