Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 11.1 update will not install

OS 11.0.1 is running well with no problems on my 2016 15" MBP. However, it will not update to the II.1 OS released today in the UK, which updates is showing in System Preferences. The whole package of 3.7GB+ downloads. The updater then says the system will restart after 59 seconds but doesn't. If you just wait after about 5 minutes the Mac shuts down but soon after comes up with the text on a black screen saying that the computer shut down because of a problem. When the restart occurs too quickly for the update to have installed, About this Mac indicates it is still on OS 11.0.1. I have tried this three times which obviously is wasting my monthly download capacity. I then ran first aid on my SSD but no problems found. A fourth attempt had exactly the same results. Normally when I have had this sort of problem in the past (I have been a Mac user for around 20 years), I would download the Combo updater but this does not seem to be available. If I reinstall the OS, will that just reinstall 11.0.1 or 11.1. There seems little point reinstalling 11.0.1 as it is working just fine. I had all my various TSR apps shut down when attempting the update.

Any suggestions welcome!

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 9:25 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 15, 2020 9:31 AM in response to RWilsonLaidlaw

RWilsonLaidlaw wrote:

OS 11.0.1 is running well with no problems on my 2016 15" MBP. However, it will not update to the II.1 OS released today in the UK, which updates is showing in System Preferences. The whole package of 3.7GB+ downloads. The updater then says the system will restart after 59 seconds but doesn't. If you just wait after about 5 minutes the Mac shuts down but soon after comes up with the text on a black screen saying that the computer shut down because of a problem. When the restart occurs too quickly for the update to have installed, About this Mac indicates it is still on OS 11.0.1. I have tried this three times which obviously is wasting my monthly download capacity. I then ran first aid on my SSD but no problems found. A fourth attempt had exactly the same results. Normally when I have had this sort of problem in the past (I have been a Mac user for around 20 years), I would download the Combo updater but this does not seem to be available. If I reinstall the OS, will that just reinstall 11.0.1 or 11.1. There seems little point reinstalling 11.0.1 as it is working just fine. I had all my various TSR apps shut down when attempting the update.

Any suggestions welcome!

Big Sur macOS 11.0.1

https://support.apple.com/macos

OS 11.1 update will not install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.