Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems updating to MacOS 12.2.1 from 12.2

Hi,

I tried three times yesterday to install the MacOS 12.2.1. Each time, the update appeared to install fine, taking the average amount of time, no errors reported, etc., but following a restart, the Software Update tab of System Preferences, which was open during the update procedure, tells me that the 12.2.1 update is still "available for your Mac", with the "Install" button now reading "Restart Now". Clicking this button doesn't help, as "About this Mac" still reports that the current MacOS version is 12.2. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a workaround, or some sort of associated logfile that I could reference that might provide clues as to why the update didn't complete successfully?

Thanks,

Ken

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 9:27 AM

I have had some issues in the past with it. This time I booted in safe mode to install the update and had no issues. I did have to close out all open windows including settings and hit the restart from the same window used to check for system updates before it allowed me to restart for the install. Hope it helps.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 9:27 AM in response to Kenneth Hjulstrom

I have had some issues in the past with it. This time I booted in safe mode to install the update and had no issues. I did have to close out all open windows including settings and hit the restart from the same window used to check for system updates before it allowed me to restart for the install. Hope it helps.

Feb 11, 2022 4:14 PM in response to DiagnosedCrazy-ItsOK

DiagnosedCrazy,

Thanks! I booted in Safe Mode, and the update installation completed successfully. FYI, I'm running 12.2.1 on a Mac Mini (218) with a 3-Ghz 6-Core Intel I5 processor with 8 Gb of RAM, with all software, including the OS on an external HDD connected to the USB 3.1 port on the back of the Mini (I'm not using the internal SSD due to concerns that it may "wear out", and from what I've heard, it's not replaceable). The install time for the 12.2.1 update was:

• From start of update download to the restart request: Exactly 2 hours
  • From restart until the login screen appeared: 25 minutes (including the initial restart, the computer restarted 4 - 5 time during this time)
  • From login screen to full display of desktop: 15 minutes

Thanks again,

Ken

Problems updating to MacOS 12.2.1 from 12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.