Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

just updated to Big Sur 11.1 and all my documents vanished?

just updated to Big Sur 11.1 and all my documents vanished? Where did they go?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 12:41 PM

Yes, I don't use iCloud for this purpose, and not knowing exactly how the OP has configured their system, I am attempting to get them to clarify which. As such, if they confirmed that they were using iCloud, I would have provided them with a similar solution as you are giving me. Regardless, thanks for your comments.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2020 12:41 PM in response to putnik

Yes, I don't use iCloud for this purpose, and not knowing exactly how the OP has configured their system, I am attempting to get them to clarify which. As such, if they confirmed that they were using iCloud, I would have provided them with a similar solution as you are giving me. Regardless, thanks for your comments.

Dec 15, 2020 12:21 PM in response to Badwater00

Are you referring to documents in your Documents folder? Did you have System Preferences > Your Apple ID > iCloud Drive > Options... > "Desktop & Documents Folders" option enabled BEFORE you upgraded? Did you backup your Mac's system drive BEFORE updating?

FWIW, I just updated my 2018 Mac mini to macOS Big Sur 11.1 and had not experienced any loss of files in my Mac's Documents folder. Note that I do not have the "Desktop & Documents" option enabled.

just updated to Big Sur 11.1 and all my documents vanished?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.