Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

display resolution lost with MacOS update

MacOs updated today (Big Sur 11.1)and I can no longer get the 4K resolution for my external monitor (LG $K HDR 43) which I need. I am connected via USB-C on both ends and the resolution was fine before the update. Can any one help me roll back to 11.0?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 11:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 1:13 PM

Same problem here.

Specs:

• Macbook Pro16 with Core i9
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1TB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Automatic GPU switch (on/off) - It does not matter, the problem still exists.

Connected to the LG 4K monitor directly via TB/USB-C.

Each time after sleep or restart my Mac, the resolution of the monitor changes.

The availability of the option to select the resolution also changes, 1080p, 720p sometimes 1024x768 is MAX what i can get.

Other Mac with BigSur work's well (Macbook Pro 15 / 2017 / 16GB DDR3/ 256 SSD), i can get 4k 60Hz (no problem).

So APPLE must broke something with our Macbook Pro 16 with BigSur update i think..

One note, the connection via the HDMI adapter (original or for example satechi) allows me to 4k at 60Hz without any problems.. So it must be something with usb-c direct connection ..

I try to reinstall OS by wipe out partition, and install fresh BigSur, but problem still exist.

I try to reset NVRAM/SMC - no luck, problem still exist.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 1:13 PM in response to appropo

Same problem here.

Specs:

• Macbook Pro16 with Core i9
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1TB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Automatic GPU switch (on/off) - It does not matter, the problem still exists.

Connected to the LG 4K monitor directly via TB/USB-C.

Each time after sleep or restart my Mac, the resolution of the monitor changes.

The availability of the option to select the resolution also changes, 1080p, 720p sometimes 1024x768 is MAX what i can get.

Other Mac with BigSur work's well (Macbook Pro 15 / 2017 / 16GB DDR3/ 256 SSD), i can get 4k 60Hz (no problem).

So APPLE must broke something with our Macbook Pro 16 with BigSur update i think..

One note, the connection via the HDMI adapter (original or for example satechi) allows me to 4k at 60Hz without any problems.. So it must be something with usb-c direct connection ..

I try to reinstall OS by wipe out partition, and install fresh BigSur, but problem still exist.

I try to reset NVRAM/SMC - no luck, problem still exist.

Dec 16, 2020 4:54 AM in response to chrisjhahn

I have the exact same screen, and I am facing the same problem. For me, the screen turns off when I reboot with the MacBook screen closed - I have to open the MacBook screen to get a signal to my external screen.

I tried all 4 ports on my MacBook Pro 16, and none of them work properly. The max resolution I can pick on my 32" screen is 720p - which is almost useless :(

Dec 18, 2020 11:23 AM in response to Sohape

I found a better solution. I had more problems with Touch ID not working after Big Sur update, but when I fixed that the resolution problem came back and this time the USBC connector would go back to low resolution if the HDMI connector was disconnected.

Instead I recommend this third party utility to set your resolution: SwitchResX available at www.madrau.com. I don’t have any affiliation - it’s free to use for ten days.

Jan 28, 2021 10:56 AM in response to Interstellaria

Interstellaria we don't know source of the issue, maybe macbook's 16 are damaged in some way (mGPU issues) or Apple send some huge bug with the latest update. Anyway i can't work on Apple hardware now .. It is embarrassing that I paid a lot of money for Apple product, and I can't use it now ..

You can find more here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/macbook-pro-16-thunderbolt-low-resolution-30hz-debug.835172/

Feb 4, 2021 6:59 AM in response to appropo

Update for 11.2 which I just installed: It seems to be a little better. I can connect through USBC and get the full 4K resolution but not at 60Hz (which used to work on Catalina). So at least I"m not forced to use HDMI. I've seen things go bad after a reboot on 11.1, so I'll stick with it for now. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Mar 9, 2021 4:56 AM in response to appropo

Resolved for me...

Same issue for me was finally resolved when I could switch the monitor's Display Port back to v 1.2 using their Philips OSD.

It had somehow reverted back to v1.1 (not sure when, assuming during a Big Sur update?) which does not support 4K despite the right cables and everything set up on the Mac side. Hence why 1080p, 1080i and 1920x1080 were available as the max res. Once switched on the Monitor side, I could then in Mac Prefs, switch to the correct resolution (3840 x 2160) via the "Scaled" option and 'More space' (far right) selection.

I'm not sure about USB-c type as unclear which connector type you'll be using to the monitor - assuming you're using Display Port or HDMI? I'm guessing the same thing though, you'll need HDMI v 2.0 or higher for UHD / 4K

Mar 9, 2021 3:55 PM in response to appropo

Just updated from BigSur macOS 11.2.1 to 11.2.3 and my previously successful 4K on a late2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15 now gone.

I worked for weeks without any issues in 4K via display port (Thunderbolt 2) to HDMI adapter.

Not sure if I shall downgrade or how to fix it. Pretty annoying. Any suggestions with third party software didn't work so far ..

display resolution lost with MacOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.