Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cardio Fitness doesn't have Apple Watch as a data source

I update my iphone and apple watch yesterday. But the cardio fitness says no data. When I checked I noticed that it does not have any datasources. My Apple Watch was not added automatically. I cannot find a way to add it manually as well. What can be done?

I thought of unpairing and pairing again. But then it will not have my previous data right?

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 12:53 PM

I have done EVERYTHING. Paring, unpairing. Brisk 20 minute outdoor walk. Monkeying with data sources. An hour on the phone with Apple where they tried everything. In the end, I simply show no cardio fitness data. And two Apple technicians didn’t even know about the "new" cardio fitness feature. This has driven me mad. If anyone has some magic bullet I haven’t tried please let me and Apple know. I have the Apple Watch 6, the iPhone 12 Pro Max. This is crazy.

182 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 12:53 PM in response to Bojan6089

I have done EVERYTHING. Paring, unpairing. Brisk 20 minute outdoor walk. Monkeying with data sources. An hour on the phone with Apple where they tried everything. In the end, I simply show no cardio fitness data. And two Apple technicians didn’t even know about the "new" cardio fitness feature. This has driven me mad. If anyone has some magic bullet I haven’t tried please let me and Apple know. I have the Apple Watch 6, the iPhone 12 Pro Max. This is crazy.

Dec 19, 2020 11:35 AM in response to Mynameishelen

I think the problem, at least for me, is the cardio fitness shows no data source. Nothing. Other areas of the health app show old devices as their data source but my new watch isn’t listed and no way to put it there that I, or the Apple advisor, could figure out. I guess I’ll wait this out and hope for a new update that fixes this. Really is annoying to have so much excitement about this feature all over the internet and three advisors I spoke with never heard of it, let alone know how to fix it.

Jan 15, 2021 3:52 PM in response to rolf228

Indoors versus outdoors is not the point but rather not being required to “exercise” is. Their statement is talking about “walking throughout the day.” I think it’s pretty clear that the meaning of “walking” would mean outside since most people don’t walk all that much inside. In any event, they clearly say that no high intensity exercise is required anymore..

Dec 18, 2020 1:35 AM in response to dminiz

Ok finally got it to work!

You have to do at least a 20mins Outdoor Walk or Run/hike. Only these 2 workouts types will work as your Apple Watch needs to calibrate. Be sure to have your gps/location enable for your workouts.

Oh and also for those who don’t have Apple Maps installed (like myself) be sure to get it as well and loc enabled before starting. Took me 2 workouts to figure out why it’s not triggering.

Dec 21, 2020 6:53 PM in response to dminiz

Also, it does not seem to be true that you need to do workouts in order to get cardio fitness readings. Apple has said that the watch is now capable of generating such readings even with low intensity activities outside of workouts. I think the answer for most people is simply waiting for readings to show up. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/12/cardio-fitness-notifications-are-available-today-on-apple-watch/

Jan 5, 2021 2:32 PM in response to rolf228

"Now you have to do an outdoor workout while walking or running for at least 20 minutes."

This is not correct. Apple had specifically said with 14.3. you do NOT have to do a workout to get VO2max readings. See the following:

"watchOS 7 also allows Apple Watch to take cardio fitness measurements as users walk throughout the day, whether or not they are tracking a workout. "

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/12/cardio-fitness-notifications-are-available-today-on-apple-watch/

Since the update I have had multiple data points where I was not tracking any workouts. This was not true in earlier versions.

Jan 14, 2021 5:28 PM in response to dminiz

I bought my Apple Watch 6 about a week ago, and I’ve been having this problem. Nothing seems to work for me. Here is what I’ve done so far.

• checked for updates.
  • restarted both iPhone and watch
  • slept with the watch every night
  • I’ve been running with it for a least 20 minutes with map/tracking on, every session.

None of this is working for me. All other Heart features work fine but Cardio Fitness still shows up as not having a data source. Very frustrating and disappointing 😖😒👎🏼

Jan 15, 2021 3:37 PM in response to rolf228

“Now you need to exercise outdoors for at least 20 minutes while walking or running.”

I have said many times here this is NOT what Apple has the said which is that with watchOS 7,, the watch is capable of providing Cardio Fitness readings at a much lower level and as a result of normal movement throughout the day. They have clearly said that specific “exercise” is not necessary any more..

”watchOS 7 also allows Apple Watch to take cardio fitness measurements as users walk throughout the day, whether or not they are tracking a workout. With this innovation, Apple Watch is better able to measure VO2 max for users with low cardio fitness, who may not complete high-intensity workouts. “

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/12/cardio-fitness-notifications-are-available-today-on-apple-watch/

Dec 21, 2020 1:54 PM in response to dminiz

Here is how I ‘fixed’ the issue on my watch.

The heart rate grey-ed out- turn off Power Reserve on the watch.

cardio Fitness not showing watch as resource— turn on location service

— on the phone in the watch app click on privacy, then on Reset Fitness calibration

• now do Outside walk or run using walk/run App for about 15/20 min.

this fixed the issue for me

Jan 4, 2021 4:13 AM in response to sgmerley

• Is this a new watch or a watch you have had before the cardio fitness update?

Its a older Watch4

• When you say "symptoms", what do you mean exactly?

Just I was not able to get the V2Omax data displayed, did enough runs, outdoor, gps enabled, maps app installed, restarts, latest updates etc.

I saw 3x same watchname in data source, that why I tried to rename the watch.

• When you say "recorded again" do you mean you previously had measurement

The VO2max data was displayed until 31 december, after that it stopped.

For another reason I had to reconnect the watch on 1st Jan, after that, there was no V2Omax Data until I renamed the watch and went out for a run.

Jan 21, 2021 7:27 PM in response to MaxTavares

I finally got mine 4 days ago. It did take a few days and quite a few exercise sessions to start showing something. It did not actually show “Apple Watch” as a “data source” up until the moment it gave me the first reading. What really bothers me, though, is that Apple does not care to inform its users, “Hey! Be patient. It’ll take a few days for it to show up but it WILL, just keep wearing your watch as long as possible and keep exercising.” But no, that’s too much for them, I guess 😏

But anyways, it looks like I’m below average, a bit disappointed, I have to admit 😅, but it also means there’s a lot of room to improvement, which is kind of motivating as well.

Dec 19, 2020 5:20 PM in response to dminiz

UPDATE:

12/15 - Updated the watch and phone.

12/17 - Did an outdoor walk but still nothing happened

12/18 - Did an outdoor walk and later I noticed Watch got connected as data source, 3 records were synced

12/19 - Did a work out (20 mins), no records synced.

So far I only have 3 data records. I wonder what is the criteria?

Cardio Fitness doesn't have Apple Watch as a data source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.