Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting external screens to macbook air

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Air 2017 and have two HP E233 external screens. I also have a StarTech hub. Is it possible to use the hub and either the 2 x USB or 1 x Thunderbolt 2 (or a combination of both) to connect them and off so what do I need?

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 6:01 AM

I also have a 2017 MacBook Air and it only accepts a single screen hooked up to the Thunderbolt 2 Port. That's also what Apple says the Air supports. I have a 1080p screen hooked up through a minidisplay to HDMI converter cable.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?viewlocale=en_US&locale=nl_NL

Graphics

• Intel HD Graphics 6000

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and dual-link DVI output using adapters (sold separately)

So 2 screens at the same time isn't going to work (only the built in screen and 1 external).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 6:01 AM in response to notageek01

I also have a 2017 MacBook Air and it only accepts a single screen hooked up to the Thunderbolt 2 Port. That's also what Apple says the Air supports. I have a 1080p screen hooked up through a minidisplay to HDMI converter cable.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP753?viewlocale=en_US&locale=nl_NL

Graphics

• Intel HD Graphics 6000

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and dual-link DVI output using adapters (sold separately)

So 2 screens at the same time isn't going to work (only the built in screen and 1 external).

connecting external screens to macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.