Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secondary Screen Solution

Hi Apple Community,

I have a question about making my 2017 Macbook Pro a secondary screen for a 2017 iMac.

From my knowledge I require a Thunderbolt 2 cable in order to connect the devices and allow the one device to perform as a secondary screen.

However both my devices (being relatively new) only carry USB-C ports which would require me to purchase x2 - Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C converters.

Is there another way to make my one device a secondary screen without have to purchase 2 adapters and a cord?

Thanks in advance for your help!

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 4:58 PM

Your iMac is too new. The 2014 is the latest that can be used as a display.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

7 replies

Apr 9, 2020 9:47 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks for commenting :)

Great minds think alike; I actually ordered the Luna Display and tried it last week.

The tech and idea is amazing, sadly using it to make one of my devices a secondary screen didn't work quite well for me (lagging and pixilation/distortion). However the Lunda Display support team is amazing and if you have an iPad that you want to hook up to a iMac/MacBook I would highly recommend.

Cheers!

Secondary Screen Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.