Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when starting my 2009 mac book pro, it often shuts down before i can put my password in

when starting my 2009 macbook pro, it often shuts down before i can put my password in

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 8:13 PM

See if you can run the Apple Hardware Test which can be found on the 2nd DVD which shipped with your Mac.

See if you can boot into Safe Mode.

See if you can boot into Recovery Mode using Command + R so you can run Disk Utility First Aid.

I suspect you most likely have a failing hard drive especially if you are still using the original drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 8:13 PM in response to chromefinish

See if you can run the Apple Hardware Test which can be found on the 2nd DVD which shipped with your Mac.

See if you can boot into Safe Mode.

See if you can boot into Recovery Mode using Command + R so you can run Disk Utility First Aid.

I suspect you most likely have a failing hard drive especially if you are still using the original drive.

when starting my 2009 mac book pro, it often shuts down before i can put my password in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.