Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook is cycling between entering my password and the startup screen

My MacBook is cycling between the startup screen and entering my pssword

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 6:08 PM

Freshnar Said:

"My MacBook is cycling between the startup screen and entering my pssword"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac in a Boot Loop:

Being continuous, it seems there is an error in the caches. So, refer to the following...

A. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only): Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

C. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2023 6:08 PM in response to Freshnar

Freshnar Said:

"My MacBook is cycling between the startup screen and entering my pssword"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac in a Boot Loop:

Being continuous, it seems there is an error in the caches. So, refer to the following...

A. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only): Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

C. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

My MacBook is cycling between entering my password and the startup screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.