Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system preference Photo selection

The photo selection in system preferences won't stay checked. When I go into system preferences for iCloud the photo selection is not checked. When I select it and enter password nothing happens. I know I'm using the right password, since it doesn't error, but nothing changes, and I also can't change the library in photo preferences. Is there something else I need to do? Or some other system setting that is causing this to happen?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 4:47 AM

You can only enable iCloud Photos for the System Photos Library. And you can only make a library the System Photos Library, that is stored on a compatible volume. Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

To switch between different Photos Libraries, quit Photo Photos. Then select the Photos Library in the Finder that you want to open and double-click it.

To make the Photos Library, that is currently open in Photos, your System Photos Library, launch Photos, if it is not running.

• Open the Photos > Preferences > General, and click "Use as System Photos Library". If "Use as System Photos Library" is greyed out, it is already the System Photos Library.
  • To make this library your iCloud Photos Library, open the Photos > Preferences > iCloud, and click "iCloud Photos Library". This will not succeed, if you do not have enough free cloud storage for the library and your Photos Library is too large.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 4:47 AM in response to MollieRyan

You can only enable iCloud Photos for the System Photos Library. And you can only make a library the System Photos Library, that is stored on a compatible volume. Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

To switch between different Photos Libraries, quit Photo Photos. Then select the Photos Library in the Finder that you want to open and double-click it.

To make the Photos Library, that is currently open in Photos, your System Photos Library, launch Photos, if it is not running.

• Open the Photos > Preferences > General, and click "Use as System Photos Library". If "Use as System Photos Library" is greyed out, it is already the System Photos Library.
  • To make this library your iCloud Photos Library, open the Photos > Preferences > iCloud, and click "iCloud Photos Library". This will not succeed, if you do not have enough free cloud storage for the library and your Photos Library is too large.

system preference Photo selection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.