You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete file from Time Machine backup

I need to delete a virus-bearing file from my Time Machine backup. When I navigate to the file and attempt [right-click] Move to Trash, I'm told "The operation can’t be completed because backup items can’t be modified." What to do?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 10:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 3:49 PM

Thanks so much for trying to help! I believe I followed your instructions, but when I right-click [control-click] on the file, "Delete all backups of <file>" does not appear on my system:

Options above (too small to read?) are Open | Restore <file> to... | Get Info | Quick Look <file> | Copy | QuickActions > Customize... So I'm still at a loss.

More info: I'm running macOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur) on a Mac Pro (2013); and the file in question is a Mail Message, could that make a difference?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2020 3:49 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks so much for trying to help! I believe I followed your instructions, but when I right-click [control-click] on the file, "Delete all backups of <file>" does not appear on my system:

Options above (too small to read?) are Open | Restore <file> to... | Get Info | Quick Look <file> | Copy | QuickActions > Customize... So I'm still at a loss.

More info: I'm running macOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur) on a Mac Pro (2013); and the file in question is a Mail Message, could that make a difference?

Dec 17, 2020 5:07 PM in response to WDC88

Just ran a test and you need to have more than one backup of a file before you can get that contextual menu option. So go back in time to see if you have other copies of it (you can preview it by selecting and pressing the Space bar). If you have other copies try the contextual menu again.

Also there are no viruses for Macs. There's malware and adware but no self propagating viruses for Macs. So you would have to click on something and then provide your admin password to install them.

Dec 17, 2020 12:00 PM in response to WDC88

You must do it from within the Time Machine app. If you know where the file is located go there and then enter TM via it's menu. Control (right) - click on the file and select "Delete all backups of "XXXXX"":

Once it starts you can click on the Cancel button to get out of the TM app and it will continue to delete in the background.

Dec 18, 2020 6:45 AM in response to Old Toad

Evidently I have only one copy of the file; nothing showed up when I went back in time using the 'back' arrow. Odd that one cannot delete a file that has only one copy, though.

As you say, I can probably just let this go. The file was identified by BitDefender as "a threat that needs to be manually removed - Trojan.PDF.Phishing.UY", so likely a Trojan Horse. I'll just leave the whole thing alone, and it will eventually disappear as the backup ages out of the list. [I posted the problem more out of a desire to learn how to delete a file from a Time Machine backup, than out of fear of the file - - and thanks to your help, I think I understand that now, subject to the limitation of not being able to delete a file with only copy.]

Again, I'm grateful for your assistance; much appreciated.

Can't delete file from Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.