Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV for ALAC Music Files

This question may have been asked before, so please accept my apologies if it is redundant. So I have begun to rip all of my CD's in ALAC format on my desktop Mac. I have been using my Apple TV to play files from my desktop using the "computers" icon on the Apple TV. Also, buying either ALAC or ALAC-HD files from sites that provide that option. Suddenly today the question hit my brain wondering if the Apple TV is capable of playing the ALAC files in the native format. We are getting ready to move into a new house. One of the "goals" for the new house is a dedicated theater room with a greatly upgraded stereo system. I wanted to be sure I am getting the most bang for my buck so to speak. I've thought about buying a Mac Mini to use solely as a music server, but was not sure if that would be a viable option either. I really appreciate any input. Thanks

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 5:07 PM

wondering if the Apple TV is capable of playing the ALAC files in the native format.

Apple TV will decode/convert any supported audio format to 16 bit, 48 kHz.

I haven’t tried ALAC-HD (anything more than 16 bit, 44.1 kHz), but it it works, it will be downsampled.

If I end up going to Mac Mini route is it possible to use the HDMI out on the Mini into the receiver?

That is not really an Apple TV question. I don’t know. I have used HDMI for AV content only so far, not audio-only.

For Home Sharing (pull) or AirPlay (push), I send my music from the Mac to the Apple TV over the home network, or use the Apple TV Music app directly. Then to the receiver.

Would there be a way to control the Mini/Music app with a phone or ideally a Harmony Remote? Thank you

The iTunes Remote app for iPhone would be able to control the Music app on a Mac (although the app description doesn’t specify Big Sur, as the last update to the app was from before Big Sur).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 5:07 PM in response to Robert Chatfield

wondering if the Apple TV is capable of playing the ALAC files in the native format.

Apple TV will decode/convert any supported audio format to 16 bit, 48 kHz.

I haven’t tried ALAC-HD (anything more than 16 bit, 44.1 kHz), but it it works, it will be downsampled.

If I end up going to Mac Mini route is it possible to use the HDMI out on the Mini into the receiver?

That is not really an Apple TV question. I don’t know. I have used HDMI for AV content only so far, not audio-only.

For Home Sharing (pull) or AirPlay (push), I send my music from the Mac to the Apple TV over the home network, or use the Apple TV Music app directly. Then to the receiver.

Would there be a way to control the Mini/Music app with a phone or ideally a Harmony Remote? Thank you

The iTunes Remote app for iPhone would be able to control the Music app on a Mac (although the app description doesn’t specify Big Sur, as the last update to the app was from before Big Sur).

Using Apple TV for ALAC Music Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.