Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter versus Apple TV box?

What is the difference between using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to mirror the screen of my 2020 MacBook Air versus using an Apple TV box? I don't have a Smart TV. I do have an HDMI enabled TV. I have the Internet, which can be used as Wifi or with an Ethernet Cable.

1) I am primarily interested in being able to view and play my iTunes music on a TV screen. My iTunes consists mainly of music I have imported ("ripped") from compact discs. I guess my main reason for wanting this with music is to be able to hear the music in good quality room filling ambient sound from my traditional wired stereo speakers. Someday replacing them with wireless speakers might happen but I don't really need or want that yet.

2) Secondly, I'd like to view on TV screen movies purchased on iTunes and purchased on YouTube.

3) Thirdly, my goal is to be able to view streaming Netflix movies on TV screen.

4) My 4th goal is to be able to play a DVD (movie) disc on my Apple SuperDrive and view it on TV screen.

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 6:14 PM

0/ Having a dedicated device (Apple TV box) means you won’t have to hook it up every time. Home Sharing and AirPlay allows much content to be streamed locally over the home network. You can leave the notebook on the desk/table and stream wirelessly.

1/ Can be done with both. Home Sharing and AirPlay are excellent for this.

2/ Can be done with both.

3/ Can be done with both (probably).

4/ You can do that from the notebook, but not through the Apple TV box.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 6:14 PM in response to tauk

0/ Having a dedicated device (Apple TV box) means you won’t have to hook it up every time. Home Sharing and AirPlay allows much content to be streamed locally over the home network. You can leave the notebook on the desk/table and stream wirelessly.

1/ Can be done with both. Home Sharing and AirPlay are excellent for this.

2/ Can be done with both.

3/ Can be done with both (probably).

4/ You can do that from the notebook, but not through the Apple TV box.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter versus Apple TV box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.