Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my printer no longer recognized?

My Epson Workforce 633 (630 series) is not being recognized on my iMac...I was trying to print one of my iPhotos and it gave me a message saying "No Printer Selected"...then I tried to select my printer and it gave me another message that "No Printer's Available".

My printer is on and working...why isn't Apple recognizing it?

Is MacOS Big Sur the cause of the problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 8:10 PM

PeppermintPatty3 Said:

"Why is my printer no longer recognized?: [...]Is MacOS Big Sur the cause of the problem?"

-------

Driver Releases:

You may need to wait for drivers. Visit this page from Epson: macOS Big Sur 11 Support - Epson

View a Screenshot

7 replies

Dec 20, 2020 1:39 PM in response to PeppermintPatty3

Hi PeppermintPatty3,

We see you're having some issues with your printer on your Mac. We certainly understand the desire to print your content as expected, and we'd like to assist.

To start, try following the steps here to set up your printer with your Mac:

Add a printer on Mac

This page here can also help with updating the printer software on Mac:

Update printer software on Mac

If you continue to have issues, you may wish to reach out to the manufacturer to confirm compatibility for the printer with macOS Big Sur.

Take care!

Dec 27, 2020 6:27 PM in response to PeppermintPatty3

Hello PeppermintPatty3,

Thanks for clarifying things there with the situation. We noted you're using macOS Big Sur. Did this issue just start happening after upgrading to macOS Big Sur? If so, it's possible that the manufacturer (Epson) may have released a new driver to support the printer on this macOS version, or have a supported version upcoming. If this is this case, we'd advise checking with them to see the current situation on that.

If things did work well initially after the macOS Big Sur upgrade, but stopped working now, try these steps: Solve printing problems on Mac

Have a good one!

Dec 22, 2020 3:52 PM in response to MichelleT18

Okay Michelle T18...sorry it took me so long to get back with you...Thank You for your help!

After a few days of frustration, my printer is now showing my Epson Workforce 630 (YAY) but It's in the Pause mode...so, I clicked on it to Resume printing, it displayed Resume but it's still not printing (I did not get any error messages)...so how do I get it to start printing?

I've been getting software update messages from Apple for a couple of weeks now saying macOS Big Sur 11.1 software update will be installed later tonight. Well, last week I tried to install myself and it stopped near the end of it saying it failed and to check your internet connection...my connection was fine. I tried a 2nd time to install today 12-22-20 and it failed again with 45 min's left to install the remainder of it...again it failed and said to check my internet connection...So again, my connection was fine....so how do I get this installed?

Dec 26, 2020 7:41 PM in response to PeppermintPatty3

PeppermintPatty3,

Thanks for keeping us updated on that issue. We can help with getting the macOS Big Sur 11.1 update to complete. With it happening a few times, we'll want to check a few things out. Are you using any kind of firewall, security software or connected to a VPN on the Mac? Or is the modem/router it's connected to running a firewall or anything like that? If so, while the internet connection could seem fine, these types of things could be affecting things. If you have any of the noted items installed, try temporarily uninstalling/disabling them, and try again.

If your Mac is connected wirelessly, and have the option to connect via Ethernet, then try using that as well.

Cheers!

Dec 27, 2020 9:27 AM in response to MichelleT18

Thanks for getting back with me MichelleT18...here's to answering your questions...

I am Not using any virus protection...from what I understood, a long while ago, it works against Apple's protection, so I don't use any virus protections? I'm not sure what a VPN is, so I am going to assume my answer would be a NO too. As for my Modem/Router...I've had it for quite a while and have never been aware of any firewall's or anything.

The only thing that I did do, within the past month, was to add an App called Honey...it was not working out for me so I tried to uninstall it yesterday (Saturday 12-26-20)...I think it's all gone now. Not sure if that would have interfered with anything?

Dec 29, 2020 6:19 PM in response to MichelleT18

MichelleT18, I finally have some good news, your instructions/suggestions helped me a great deal...so much appreciated to get your input!!!

I forgot to tell you that my Mac is connected wirelessly, so I finally got my modem/router connected directly to it today and updated my software, it took 2 hours but is completed...YAY!!! Now that it is complete, I went back to my wireless connection.

The only thing I need to deal with now is getting my Epson Printer added again & updated. The printer was displaying on my Mac before the Big Sur 11.1 update but once I hooked up the modem/router to my computer today, it's not displaying now and it won't allow me to add. So I will get my booklet out, within the next couple of days, to see if I can add my printer, then wait to see if Epson will recognize it & update...if not, I will probably need to buy a new printer.

Thanks again Michelle for taking time out of your busy day to help me...Happy New Year!

Why is my printer no longer recognized?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.