Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive not showing up on desktop - macOS Big Sur udpate

Since macOS Big Sur, I have not been able open my external drive.

I have a lot of information on this hard drive and don't know how to get to it.

Can someone explain what has happened and how I can fix this?

I don't understand. Not very good with computers.

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 1:51 PM

rhodes65, you external drive is formatted NTFS which is a windows based disk format. There are 3rd party applications that will allow you to read/write the NTFS format. Paragon software NTFS For Mac is one. You could download that and try it out to see it solves your problem. I noticed that you have a Seagate Branded drive. I would go to Seagate's site and see if they have an updated version of their software that will enable you to mount your external drive.

I hope this helps.

Paul

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 1:51 PM in response to rhodes65

rhodes65, you external drive is formatted NTFS which is a windows based disk format. There are 3rd party applications that will allow you to read/write the NTFS format. Paragon software NTFS For Mac is one. You could download that and try it out to see it solves your problem. I noticed that you have a Seagate Branded drive. I would go to Seagate's site and see if they have an updated version of their software that will enable you to mount your external drive.

I hope this helps.

Paul

external hard drive not showing up on desktop - macOS Big Sur udpate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.