Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insert current system date and time

Is there a way I can get Numbers to enter the current system date and time in a cell? When I am actually in the cell, I can use the menu Insert:Date and Time to insert the current system date. But it always writes the time as midnight. I need it to write weaver the current time actually is.

I've tried custom formatting, which it ignores in this process, and every other format that I've been able to think of via the Cell:Data Format panel.

Thanks much!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 11:42 AM

I just ran across what I guess is a new menu item. I was unaware of it. It does exactly what you want.

In the Table menu is "Insert Current Time". It inserts the current date and time, preserving the cell format of any pre-formatted cells. In an unformatted cell it shows you just the time, but the date is still part of it.

You select a cell (do not click again like you need to do for Insert Date&Time), then use the shortcut or menu. I deleted my shortcut for Insert Date and Time and moved it to that menu item.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 11:42 AM in response to DWilsonNance

I just ran across what I guess is a new menu item. I was unaware of it. It does exactly what you want.

In the Table menu is "Insert Current Time". It inserts the current date and time, preserving the cell format of any pre-formatted cells. In an unformatted cell it shows you just the time, but the date is still part of it.

You select a cell (do not click again like you need to do for Insert Date&Time), then use the shortcut or menu. I deleted my shortcut for Insert Date and Time and moved it to that menu item.

Dec 17, 2020 3:19 PM in response to DWilsonNance

You are halfway there. When you insert date&time, the next step is to click on it. A window will pop up where you can choose a format that has the time included. If you forget to do this step, you can go back and do it later unless you manually changed the cell format the usual way. You click the cell to select it, click again to select the text/date, then click a third time to get to the little window. One thing to notice: if the entire date highlights when you click on it to select it, the little window will be available, otherwise not.

I am thinking there is a script available that can also be used to insert the date & time. I find the built-in method to be clunky, especially if you need the result formatted a specific way. I don't think the built-in way can "insert date and time and match style".

Dec 17, 2020 11:11 PM in response to Badunit

HI BU,

"I am thinking there is a script available that can also be used to insert the date & time. "

You are correct. SGIII created a Service that can be installed as a menu item. It can be triggered by choosing the menu item, or, like most menu items, by assigning it a keystroke combination.

With luck SG still has the service stored on line, will be by soon with directions on how to get and install it. Piece of cake, as I recall. :)

Regards,

Barry

Dec 18, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Barry

Thanks much Barry. I wasn't aware I could create a service as you describe. Is it possible you can link me to something that will explain how I do this? Thanks. I tried doing a keyboard shortcut to the "Date & Time" menu item. It show like it should work, displaying my selected shortcut next to the menu item. But it doesn't actually work.

Have fun!

Insert current system date and time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.