Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backup on mac big sur

I upgraded my iMac to Big Sur today. After the update I ma trying to backup my iPhone and I looked at the process. The iPhone appears in Finder, however the tabs above the iPhone are not showing up. What am I missing?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 12:39 PM

This is not a helpful response. If you read the OP, backing up is the goal... but the issue is a bug within Finder. The issue is not that he is unable to backup the device - the interface to be able to do that is completely broke.

I have the same issue on Big Sur and so do tons of other people. Both devices are completely up to date and have been restarted. There are no errors.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 12:39 PM in response to AppleJen77

This is not a helpful response. If you read the OP, backing up is the goal... but the issue is a bug within Finder. The issue is not that he is unable to backup the device - the interface to be able to do that is completely broke.

I have the same issue on Big Sur and so do tons of other people. Both devices are completely up to date and have been restarted. There are no errors.

Dec 20, 2020 3:34 PM in response to norbert281

Greetings, norbert281!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having an issue backing up your iPhone to your computer. Check out this article If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup. This article will give you the best steps to take for issues with backing up to a computer.

Let us know the results and have a great day!

Jan 26, 2021 9:36 PM in response to norbert281

Not sure this was unique to Big Sur, but had same problem of iPhone showing up in sidebar but nothing else to sync or backup or anything. I have my 'Music' library on an external hard drive. It was disconnected when I connected the phone. Upon reconnecting the external drive (and making the Music library visible),now all the syncing options for my iPhone appear! Apparently in spite of the newer 'iPhone and Finder' relationship (i.e., no more iTunes connection), the iPhone still has to see a 'Music' connection. Hope this helps someone.

iPhone backup on mac big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.