Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update freezes

I'm attempting to upgrade from Big Sur 11.0 to 11.1 on my Macbook Pro 2020.

It downloads the update, but then freezes when trying to prepare the update with 10 minutes left.

I have left it all night and it didn't move. Also tried to boot in safe mode and run it there, no luck. And I tried booting in recovery mode and repairing the disk. No difference.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 8:34 AM

ESET or any AntVirus is totally unnecessary on macOS. They are well known to mess-up the macOS to the point of altering system files, interfering in system file and can corrupted an other wise perfectly running OS.

That said, urge you to remove ESET via the Developers instruction.

Once that is achieved, try the Big Sur upgrade again.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 8:34 AM in response to bigtuna87

ESET or any AntVirus is totally unnecessary on macOS. They are well known to mess-up the macOS to the point of altering system files, interfering in system file and can corrupted an other wise perfectly running OS.

That said, urge you to remove ESET via the Developers instruction.

Once that is achieved, try the Big Sur upgrade again.

Dec 18, 2020 4:31 AM in response to bigtuna87

Read others with similar issue. They have Stopped the Screen Saver from activating and had to kept the computer from becoming inactive during the Long download process. The 10 minute mark in the download process can run 30 and more minutes in Real Time - it did for me. Had to keep the MBA active even if just moving curser around before it would go to screen saver.

Good Luck

Big Sur update freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.