Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur updates freezes 11.2.1 and 11.2.2 - No progress

It is impossible on my MacBook Pro 2019 to update MacOs Big Sur to the new releases from January/February 2021. I can download the 3+ Giga update, but than install freezes during "preparing mac OS Big Sur..." after a progress of approx 75% (10 minutes remaining).

This happens with both updates 11.2.1. and 11.2.2.

I have about 300Gb free hard disk space, and attempted several times, including after re-starting the OS

I' waited for long time, even 2 hours, but "preparation of mac OS" doesn't progresses.

I had installed updates before w/o any issue, including the upgrade to Big Sur.

Any proposed troubleshooting idea or solution from the community?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 11:03 AM

I have resolved the issue by re-starting the OS in safe mode. The installation has taken a very long time (approx 2 hours), but finally I've got the Big Sur 11.2.2 update installed.

For the benefit of others, I have ESET cyber security pro installed. I must say that I didn't receive any clue that OS was running in safe mode (no option menu, no warning, no pop-up window...) but I noticed that the MacBook Pro was terribly slow.

At the end the day trick worked: restarting in safe mode by holding Shift pressed at start-up, run the software update and... be patient for a very long time.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 11:03 AM in response to PRP_53

I have resolved the issue by re-starting the OS in safe mode. The installation has taken a very long time (approx 2 hours), but finally I've got the Big Sur 11.2.2 update installed.

For the benefit of others, I have ESET cyber security pro installed. I must say that I didn't receive any clue that OS was running in safe mode (no option menu, no warning, no pop-up window...) but I noticed that the MacBook Pro was terribly slow.

At the end the day trick worked: restarting in safe mode by holding Shift pressed at start-up, run the software update and... be patient for a very long time.

Feb 27, 2021 4:41 AM in response to Mario Bramans

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required. If this does Not Apply - Disregard

If doing over wifi - it is very iffy but doable. Better results via Ethernet connection.

If over Ethernet is used, suggest Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer. Restart Router then same to computer but hold Shift Immediately at startup. Safe Mode does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only load Apple Software and fonts - loads slowly - Normal. Try again.

If over Wifi - same as ethernet Router and computer restart and Safe Mode except disconnect ALL Other devices using the Wifi - want Max Bandwidth to this computer and try again.

MacOS Big Sur updates freezes 11.2.1 and 11.2.2 - No progress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.