You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wallet: "add card" prompts one to verify a long expired card

On my XS (IOS 14. 3),, in Wallet:

if I click +, it asks me to validate a "Card on File" whose image show a debit card for may bank and last 4 digits point to long ago expired card. Since I no longer have that card, I can't validate the CVV (and the bank would refuse it anyways). Lets say the 4 digits listed are 1234,

This card is is not listed as an active card in Wallet. (or in Settings for Apple Pay/Wallet).

The 2 cards (credit and debit) are active and working.

I booted my iPhone 6s. And it did have the card 1234 as one of the 2 cards along with a long ago expired credit card.

I deleted these 2 on the old 6s. Then on the 6s, if I try to add a card, it gives me an option to add 3 cards. The first 2 listed are the current Credit and Debit cards (based on last 4 digits) and the last one is that 1234 expired card.

This indicates that the 6s contacted Apple to get the list of currently activated cards (on my XS). (My Apple ID only has the Credit Card so unaware of the debit card).

After removing the 1234 card from the 6s, Wallet on the XS still offers to add the 1234 card. So this 1234 card is definitely somewhere at Apple which insists on offering it to me.

Is there a way to manage these "Card on File" to remove expired ones so that the iPhone doesn't bug me to try to add its whenever I click + in Wallet ?

Since that card doesn't exist anymore, I cannot add it and delete it (since can't verify it).

(there is an existing thread with same question, but it was closed without a proper response).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250550263

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 3:55 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 19, 2020 7:38 PM in response to askbarnabas

That card has been expired for years. How much longer must I wait ?

Since the 6s, after deleting all cards, and trying to add a new card offered my new cards (never known to the 6s), it shows that it connects to some Apple servers who know what cards I have on Apple Pay and not is that server which shows that expired card, and explains why both the old 6S and XS insist on having me add this expired card.

Wallet: "add card" prompts one to verify a long expired card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.