Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Card Compatabilities

Just cutious...why can't I buy a modern video card and use it in my Mac Pro 2008?

Just perusing some of the cheap video options from Newegg.

https://www.newegg.ca/visiontek-radeon-5450-900860/p/N82E16814129320?Item=N82E16814129320

It has a PCI Express 2.1 (16 lanes) interface and my Mac Pro has the same. Is it the lack of drivers for the card that keeps me from using something like this? I'm unclear as to why this is an issue. I would think that drivers are somewhat ubiquitous and that someone has written drives for older PCI Macs.

Just looking to get some clarity on this.

Cheers

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 12:19 PM

To be able to see the "Boot Screens" -- screens that appear in a Mac when you invoke Startup Manager (aka system Selector), Recovery Mode, Diagnostics, and Safe Mode (none of which load the Graphics Acceleration Drivers) you need the card's EFI firmware to have support for what is called "Mac firmware" or more loosely "Boot Screen Support".

To have a card show a picture AFTER the login screen (when the Drivers are loaded) it needs to be at least a little bit compatible with MacOS. There has been increasing (but far from universal) support for PC-only cards in versions of MacOS 10.8.3 and later, but still no built-in support for Boot screens (unless it has been factory-made as a Mac-compatible card or User hacked for Mac firmware.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 12:19 PM in response to BioRich

To be able to see the "Boot Screens" -- screens that appear in a Mac when you invoke Startup Manager (aka system Selector), Recovery Mode, Diagnostics, and Safe Mode (none of which load the Graphics Acceleration Drivers) you need the card's EFI firmware to have support for what is called "Mac firmware" or more loosely "Boot Screen Support".

To have a card show a picture AFTER the login screen (when the Drivers are loaded) it needs to be at least a little bit compatible with MacOS. There has been increasing (but far from universal) support for PC-only cards in versions of MacOS 10.8.3 and later, but still no built-in support for Boot screens (unless it has been factory-made as a Mac-compatible card or User hacked for Mac firmware.

Dec 18, 2020 11:08 AM in response to BioRich

<< Please read the question. >>

I read your question. You got an answer based on my interpretation of what you wrote.

Communication is a TWO-WAY Street. If you did not get answer(s) that you consider appropriate, it is likely that you did not communicate what you intended in your initial query.

Please ask your question again, emphasizing EXACTLY what you would like Readers to answer for you. Be specific.

Video Card Compatabilities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.