Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphic Card For Mac Pro Early 2008

Looks like the video card in our old Mac Pro finally died. Our other Mac Pro's video card failed a couple of years ago (we replaced the computer). Apple lists the following compatible video cards:

• ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (part number 630-9191 or 630-9897)*
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870, offered as an upgrade kit

I was wondering if there are any others, maybe more recent cards, that might also work. And be more available. I'm also a bit concerned with compatibility between an older card and more recent versions of macOS.

Current Pro Desktops

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 6:04 PM

The Mac-firmware GT120, that shipped in the 2009 model, used about US$50

The Mac-firmware 5770, that shipped in the 2009 model, used about US$80

drivers were in 10.6.5, so if running anything later, you have the drivers.

4 replies

Dec 2, 2020 4:37 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I bought a new (to me) graphics card, an ATI Radeon HD 4870. It arrived with a piece that was loose, shown by the arrow in the pict, a blue/silver cylinder that looks like a tiny capacitor. It doesn't appear to be broken off of anything or to have been soldered. I installed the card, and it works, so far. Any idea what that piece is, or should I be worried that it's no longer attached to the card?

Dec 2, 2020 5:04 PM in response to John Baro1

That is an Electrolytic Capacitor. A metal 'can' filled with plates rolled inside and dampened with electrolyte (whence comes the name).

When they start to fail, they can get amazingly hot, then can boil the electrolyte, and the top dishes up from the steam as they fail.

It will have a rating in capacitance, a Voltage rating, and a temperature range. You can go higher, but must not install one lesser in any parameter, or it may quickly fail.

Graphic Card For Mac Pro Early 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.