Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

graphics card for an Old mac Pro OS 10? Please

My old mac Pro OS 10 shows black/nothing screen. I guess I need a graphics card, am I right? If so, What card should I buy? Thanks, guys.

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 4:55 AM

Hi, Johntr18, maybe i can help you… a radeon hd 7950 would be a decent replacement… or the rx-580… the R9 series aren’t too bad either( either 290/380) … here’s a list of cards that should work fine in your 2008 mac pro ( see link); Graphics card compatibility for Final Cut Pro, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 - Apple Support (CA)… please bear in mind that the higher powered cards, eg vega 56,64, Radeon VII and Vega Frontier Edition will not work without the Pixlas Mod, as they draw too much power thru the backplane of your Mac Pro… currently, decent mac pro graphics cards are in short supply and prices are crazy… you might have to try eBay… you could either get a Mac-native or Mac-flashed card… both will work…

hope this helps

john b

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2022 4:55 AM in response to Johntr18

Hi, Johntr18, maybe i can help you… a radeon hd 7950 would be a decent replacement… or the rx-580… the R9 series aren’t too bad either( either 290/380) … here’s a list of cards that should work fine in your 2008 mac pro ( see link); Graphics card compatibility for Final Cut Pro, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 - Apple Support (CA)… please bear in mind that the higher powered cards, eg vega 56,64, Radeon VII and Vega Frontier Edition will not work without the Pixlas Mod, as they draw too much power thru the backplane of your Mac Pro… currently, decent mac pro graphics cards are in short supply and prices are crazy… you might have to try eBay… you could either get a Mac-native or Mac-flashed card… both will work…

hope this helps

john b

graphics card for an Old mac Pro OS 10? Please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.