Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave graphics card problem

I followed the advice I got in Mac Pro 5,1 replacement graphics card - Apple Community, and I just got around to upgrading the machine to the latest officially supported OS, but unless I remove the GT 120, the icons never show up on the login screen, so the machine is completely unusable. It doesn't matter if a display isn't connected. I regret not getting a Mac Edition GTX 680 or something, and obviously I would've not done what I did if some in that thread had known I'd have this issue.

I don't imagine anybody knows of anything I can do to make it run with the card installed, because otherwise I'm just going to have to leave it sitting on a shelve and only put it in when I need it.

Also, why is there no functionality to search your own post history?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 2:38 PM

Dunno if this helps you much, Sam W; but--there is a PRAM/CMOS battery behind the graphics card which dies after about 5 years and should be replaced. Exact replacement is a BR-2032 but a CR-2032 will do fine... Other than doing the usual stuff---reset PMU/SMU and then zap pram 4 times on startup, I don't know what else really to suggest to you.... as Grant Bennet-Alder mentioned, most of the cards are AMD with a few nVidia ones (*as long as they have the Kepler chipset in them) \

John B

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 2:38 PM in response to Sam Wilkins

Dunno if this helps you much, Sam W; but--there is a PRAM/CMOS battery behind the graphics card which dies after about 5 years and should be replaced. Exact replacement is a BR-2032 but a CR-2032 will do fine... Other than doing the usual stuff---reset PMU/SMU and then zap pram 4 times on startup, I don't know what else really to suggest to you.... as Grant Bennet-Alder mentioned, most of the cards are AMD with a few nVidia ones (*as long as they have the Kepler chipset in them) \

John B

Mar 27, 2023 6:51 PM in response to Sam Wilkins

At the login screen, supported graphics cards should show that screen. It may not be the metal issue that are keeping your card from showing the login screen.

"Nvidia and Apple are feuding. There are no drivers for newer Nvidia hardware in 10.14 and above. Effectively, the upgrade options are limited to AMD."

https://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/05/07/definitive-mac-pro-upgrade-guide.html

No NVIDIA cards are listed in this official upgrade document, only AMD cards:

Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Apple Support

If the LOGIN screen is the big stumbling block, you could try screen-sharing from another Mac, and enabling auto-login of the primary user in:

System preferences > Security & Privacy > General ...

[_} Disable automatic login -AND-

System preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options ...

... and specify the auto-login user

Mar 27, 2023 7:42 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It may not hurt to experiment, but I have a feeling if I enable auto-login, it will do something like not render the desktop, menu bar, or Dock.

• NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

Those are listed in that linked document, and it isn't exactly an exhaustive list of what will work. I know with a GTX 660 except for a black screen before the OS loads, the computer is perfectly useable.

I don't understand how it couldn't be Metal compatibility, since the GT 120 is old as **** and definitely worked before I tried to upgrade. Even though it spend the majority of it's time with nothing connected because it was only there if I wanted to access the boot volume picker (the thing you get by holding option when starting up), or otherwise needed to troubleshoot something.

From my understanding Kepler or older is fine.

Mar 28, 2023 3:26 PM in response to Sam Wilkins

<< I don't imagine anybody knows anything that can be done to not make it think there's a display connected >>

You could Mirror displays and see if it gives you the login screen on BOTH. that will limit resolution of the 660 display to whatever the GT120 can use for a resolution.

--OR--

the White menubar illustration is an Icon. It can be dragged to any connected display to make it the Primary display:

Mar 27, 2023 5:53 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Maybe it isn't totally clear what I ultimately did after posting that last thread, but I got a GT 120 with boot screen and no Metal, and a GTX 660 with no boot screen and Metal. The setup was absolutely fine before I installed Mojave. I had to remove the 120 to install because it said all graphics cards must support Metal, but I thought I could put it back afterwards.

I think I pretty clearly stated that the icons for the accounts on the machine never show up unless I remove the 120, but I'm after a solution that doesn't require leaving the card out of the computer collecting dust on a shelf.

I hope that cleared things up.

There's also the problem where only the downloaded installer recognizes the 660 as supporting Metal, so it is impossible to reinstall from the recovery environment or a USB drive. I guess if something broke and the computer became non-bootable, the only recourse would be to restore from the latest Time Machine backup from when it was still working.

Mar 28, 2023 5:15 AM in response to Sam Wilkins

<< the GT 120 is old as **** and definitely worked before I tried to upgrade. >>

'before you tried to upgrade' you were running High Sierra, who does not require Built-in Metal on the card. Similarly, the GTX 660 had drivers included that allowed it to work under High Sierra, pre-Metal.

<< From my understanding Kepler or older is fine. >>

those older NVIDIA cards will work.

The Mac Edition card works because it does not need additional Drivers; NVIDIA's very late Drivers and unwillingness to supply technical information was why they and Apple had a falling out.

But the definition of "fine" is subject to interpretation. if you do rendering, you need to compare performance on any card you acquire.

Mar 28, 2023 1:24 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'm pretty sure the only difference with Mac Edition is the VBIOS is compatible with the EFI firmware allowing it to display stuff before the macOS drivers load. And what about my laptop which is running Catalina and has a 650m? I recall that Big Sur also runs on some Macs with Nvidia GPUs.

Anyway, I tried doing the automatic login, and I was able to find out what was really happening. The Mac had thought there was a display connected to the 120, and that display was set as the primary display, so it was rendering the account pictures on it as well as the dock and my the desktop icons.

I don't imagine anybody knows anything that can be done to not make it think there's a display connected when there isn't. I'm not sure it even matters if it means macOS never recognizes there's a card connected, as long as I can use it during the early boot process. I know I could put the phantom display in a corner to help avoid the mouse going off into the void, but I don't think that eliminates the risk entirely.

I want to put an earlier OS on the secondary drive and see if it always thought there was another display connected, or if this is new to Mojave.

Mar 28, 2023 6:38 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Mirroring had crossed my mind some point after I had removed the 120. I need to double check that the checkbox is being offered because I would've thought I'd have tried it if it was there. I was playing around with it, and I moved the menubar to the real display, which made the dock and disk icons show up. Interestingly enough, the menubar showed up before I moved it in the Displays preferences. Still, there's the concern of the mouse going into the void.

The real display was about the size of the top one in your second screenshot, while the phantom display was about the size of the lower-right one. I assume that means the real display would be forced to something much lower than the 2560x1440 native resolution, which would make mirroring unacceptable.

Mar 29, 2023 6:28 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

But then you'd have to remember to turn it back on before logging out, no? I think the only thing that would be acceptable here is just leaving the 120 out of the Mac for normal use, or somehow making it so this fake display isn't reported to the OS. I'll guess it doesn't help much, but the fake display shows up as just "Display" with a 1024x768 max resolution. Maybe it's just a Mojave bug, I still plan to test with the previous OS and report back.

Mar 30, 2023 9:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I thought it would be preferable if the card was inside the Mac, but I would've if I hadn't found a fix. Yep, zapping the PRAM did the trick, so I'll be marking John B's suggestion as the solution. This of course means I won't be installing any other macOS version.

I strongly doubt I would've thought about that, perhaps because it has been a long time since I've had to do that.

Mojave graphics card problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.