For the Mac Pro coming June 2023, what graphics cards can I use.

I have the 2013 Pro. I need a new one. Mine has been freezing and having problems. Apple will give me nothing for turning it in. Crazy, I spent a lot of money on this in 2013. Anyway, I see they have a new version of the pro out but it cannot use PCI graphics cards. Even though it has slots available. So what cards can I use.

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 12:52 AM

You’ve answered your own question.

At this point in time, you cannot use PCI graphic cards in the 2023 Mac Pro.

But since the M2 Ultra has 76 GPU cores, you can wait for the first benchmarks to appear, and check if the performance is enough for your needs.

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade RAM or the M2 Ultra chip during the lifetime of the 2023 Mac Pro, and it remains to be seen if Apple / AMD / ATI will create drivers for graphic cards in the future, or if Apple will create a successor of its Afterburner cards (where the M2 Ultra has the equivalent of 7(!) Afterburner cards built right into it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 12:52 AM in response to Glowzinski

You’ve answered your own question.

At this point in time, you cannot use PCI graphic cards in the 2023 Mac Pro.

But since the M2 Ultra has 76 GPU cores, you can wait for the first benchmarks to appear, and check if the performance is enough for your needs.

Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade RAM or the M2 Ultra chip during the lifetime of the 2023 Mac Pro, and it remains to be seen if Apple / AMD / ATI will create drivers for graphic cards in the future, or if Apple will create a successor of its Afterburner cards (where the M2 Ultra has the equivalent of 7(!) Afterburner cards built right into it.

Jun 30, 2023 11:55 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I've been researching this since the M1 came out announcing removal of eGPU's for all Apple silicon based computers. Intel machines will continue to support various nVidia and AMD GPU's but those are OS dependant. In regards to the 2023 Mac Pro's, please see this link from Apple. I'm not a fan of being restricted to MacOS which I love, don't get me wrong, but I'd have a need to run Windows natively from time to time. So, I'm out of luck - but my late 2019 MacBook Pro still fits the gap including an eGPU, but I want something more powerfull than an AMD RT5700 XT - and the supported RT6xxx series is confusing on what will and will not work with an Intel Mac. But, regarding your question:

PCIe cards you can install in your Mac Pro (2023) - Apple Support

Jun 7, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Glowzinski

I saw an older article also. I cannot see they're being no way to do it.

I have never built a PC. I was into in in the late 90s when I was a teen. But putting stuff in a Mac. seems easy enough. I am fast at learning stuff.

I am writing a series of books for teens. I draw pictures of a kids book I am writing. I use my Cintiq 32 Pro. Which is 4K. So getting the new Mac. would be great. I also do stuff with pictures and videos. I don't play games. I have every game system for that. haha

For the Mac Pro coming June 2023, what graphics cards can I use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.