Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail intermittently offline

My mac mail intermittently goes offline and am unable to send messages. This has been happening for the past couple of months, possibly starting after a software update. I'm currently running High Sierra 10.13.6 on an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015.

The error message I'm getting is "The connection to host plff-pzqw.accessdomain.com on port 587 failed."

The Mail Connection Doctor error message says "Could not connect to this SMTP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the account preferences. Also verify that the server accepts connections on port 587. If it does not, change the port number in the Server Settings tab of the Account preferences."

I have confirmed that I have correct info for sending/connecting to my SMTP server. I'm able to send email through webmail, so I believe the problem is not my email host. I have tried changing the port setting from 465 to 587 and selecting "Use TLS/SSL, none of these have solved the issue. I have also spoken to Optimum Online, my ISP who has been of little help.

The problem happens many times each day. Sometimes if I quit mac mail and restart it several times it will work for a while. Sometimes waiting 5-10 minutes it will send a the email in the outbox on its own.

It also is happening on my 2019 MacBook Pro 16". Others in my household also on Macs are not having this problem.

Not sure what else to try. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 12:39 PM

You already performed everything short of removing the problematic email account, and adding it again. That's usually the easiest way to solve problems like that.

If you can’t send email on your Mac provides instructions for adding and removing accounts. Refer to the instructions linked under "Remove your account, then add it back."

For reference: Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. It describes most if not all the steps you already followed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 12:39 PM in response to Chili99

You already performed everything short of removing the problematic email account, and adding it again. That's usually the easiest way to solve problems like that.

If you can’t send email on your Mac provides instructions for adding and removing accounts. Refer to the instructions linked under "Remove your account, then add it back."

For reference: Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. It describes most if not all the steps you already followed.

Mac mail intermittently offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.