Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

security update 2024 Catalina 10.15.7 hangs after install

grr.

I have the internal SSD maintained pristine as the day the MacBook Pro shipped. I have connected via thunderbolt an external 1 TB Samsung SSD with 10.14 on it. I have 10.15.7 on an SDHD as per the card slot on the side of the laptop.

This is the card that I am attempting to apply the latest security update.

it was done via the system preferences panel automatically. It goes through the atypical install reboot install reboot process, before finally arriving at the total reboot with the Apple logo on a black background. Only this time there is no progress bar showing the loading, as it usually does.

This can stay this way perpetually. So far I’ve had patience enough to let it stay “non-progressing“ for an hour and a half before force rebooting.

No matter what startup keyboard shortcut I use to force boot selection of this card, it always returns to hanging on the white Apple logo on black background.

I have even tried the external OS boot, and manually going into the system library folder named Updates and removing the corrupted files, but that doesn’t make any difference.

I already reinstalled from scratch a fresh, clean, 0S 10.15.7 off of Internet recovery. It went back to working OK, but it tells me it needs this security update.

Today I tried the manual download of the DMG of the security update, and manually updated the security, and the entire process Devolved into the same hanging pattern. So another long walk and a couple hours of chores, and then my patience will have expired once and for all.

At this point, if no one else has any solution how to get around this hanging problem, then I will be forced to reinstall 10.15.7 fresh from the Internet all over. AND NEVER install anything else from apple “suggestions “ again.

Anyone at all having the same problem and finding any solution?

Also, i’m signed in but apple isn’t allowing this to upload despite making it look like the submit button works. WHY?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 11:37 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 18, 2020 11:55 AM in response to iPadded Brad

On laptops, the SD slot is much slower than it is on Apple desktops. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204384

That article indicates that the SD slot transfers on Apple laptops at USB 2 speed (theoretically 480 Mb/s, in practice, much slower). So waiting for an hour and a half might not have been long enough, as some security updates can take 30-60 minutes even with an internal high speed SSD, and you're trying it on the equivalent of a USB 2 external device. Which could take x2, x3, x5 or even x10 times longer, easily. Also, SDHC cards often use inexpensive flash memory which can perform very slowly under certain circumstances. So I suspect you interrupted the normal security update process with a force power down and that might have left your system in an unstable state.

Dec 19, 2020 9:54 AM in response to iPadded Brad

I bricked my iMac (latest 4K version) yesterday, with this installer...

• it is COMPLETELY dead now.

Apple, for SURE made some SERIOUS weird stuff in this update. As far as I am concerned... plenty of people have the same issue.

Strangest thing is that many have problem with BigSur... but I made the Security Update for Catalina! - seems like they messed up both.

I will take my iMac to repair on Monday... -but I fear the worst. (Since I opened it to replace the RAM, I really think that I will be sent home again... with no "warranty" repairs. 1.700 € thrown out of the window. (Purchased 1 month ago).

<irony>

Thanks Apple.

You are doing great.

</irony>

Dec 31, 2020 3:52 PM in response to R4dt

I spend the last 1 1/2 days to resuscitate my late 2013 iMac. Installed the Catalina security update 2020-001, and it ended in the situation, that I couldn't boot anymore from my external SSD. Tried everything, finally it seemed to work like this:

1. Deleted the System Volume on one Crucial X8 2TB SSD
  2. Unplugged all other USB Disks and equipment (total 2 Crucial X8 SSD Drives, one WD MyPassport 6tB (for TM Backup) and one GForce 6B HD, a Yamaha Audio Mixer, Korg Midi Controller and Nektar Masterkeyboard). So only left one SSD, one the first USB right beside the thunderbolts.
  3. Restarted first doing some NCRAM Reset.
  4. Installed by a downloaded Catalina Installer
  5. After installation finished, and when asked for Setting up a user, I connected the WD and restored it from the Time Machine Backup
  6. All fine so far.When I was back to the finder finally, I connected the other drives, everything seemed quite like before.
  7. Later I wanted to make some music, and -baaaaah- here the **** goes on: Part of my Orchester libraries, which is on the second SSD loaded like a floppy-disk back in 85.
  8. Checked the Speed witch Blackmagic Disctool: 10-15 MB (had around 420 read before the whole story.

Checked out the 7200 GForce, which is usually around some 200-240 MB: Same 15 MB/s read

Result: This is unusable for me to do anything. And it is definitely this bloody update, which ruined nearly two days (btw force me to stay in tonite on New Years eve, cause it had to be fixed for some work)

I'm working on Mac since early 90ies, and this reminds me of the worst time on Mac OS 9.x till 9.5.x, which was one subrelease and fix after the other, always making anything worse, before finally OS X was released. Is it the same now, from all the X (10) to Big Sur (11)?

I'm f** angry, most about that many people suffering this prob, and there's still no statement or fix from Apple. In my case, if there won't be any workaround within the next days, I'm likely forced to buy a new Mac, cause next week I'll have some productions. Whom may I charge for my lost money?

It can't be that some innocent looking security updates are blasting off your whole working system.We're not using a Mac for some Facebook crap, guys, you should know tis. Why is something like this released without decent testing? If I were the only one, or had really weird setup, ok, but nope. And anyway lots of other users are just using one external drive, and suffering the same ****. Fair enough, I had enough space to shuffle around the data, and backup manually important stuff double. ...

Statement, Apple, please! And a fix. Thanks and aaah, apart from all anger: Happy new year to all here ;-)

Phil

Jan 1, 2021 1:10 AM in response to ElkyOne

My Update #2021-001 ;-)

Although I was expecting this from other user's experience, I gave it a try on my own and shut down everything, leaving all drives connected. Again booting from internal, so I got prepared for another long day :-(

Before coming to my fixes, I'd like to make it easier readable, and give the ext disks some nicknames now. Overall setting is:

iMac 27 late 2013 / 3,2 Quad Core / 32 GB Ram

External storage:

A) SSD 1: Crucial SSD X8 2TB (1st of two SSDs, my desired Catalina startup disk, serving system, programs, user account folder and on another volume instrument libraries).

B) SSD 2: Crucial SSD X8 2TB (2nd of two SSDs, used for all kinds of my graphical and media work, so video, graphics etc and hosting the other big part of of instrument libraries for my second work life, music)

C) HD 1 GDrive 6B HD, 7200rpm, used for project archive and third part of instrument libraries, that are not that often used and somehow smaller libraries no taking ages to swap to memory

D) HD 2: Seagate Backup 6TB, 5400rpm (I mentioned WD myPassport above, this wasn't correct): Used only as Time Machine Volume

E) HD 3: WD MyPassport 2TB, little helper, just used for tmp backups and misc stuff like drive of re-needed downloads etc, or mobile data transfer

The usual ports and speeds are (before the Security Update)

SSD 1: USB port 4 (counting from left to right, so beside the two thunderbolts), appr. around 440 MB/s

SSD 2: USB port 3, appr. around 440 MB/s

HD 1: USB port 2, appr. around 240 MB/s

On USB port 1 there's a 4x USB 3.2 Hub (I know, that this will share bus speed between connected devices, but no prob in my settings). So HD 2 and HD3 are on this hub. Additionally there's some midi stuff on this hub, nothing of high transfer rates,

So what worked, at least somehow - Here's my latest workaround:

1. Disconnected again all drives apart from SSD 1
  2. SMC Reset (unplugged iMac 20 sec, and waited 5 seconds)
  3. NVRAM Reset
  4. Result: showing up login as I'm used from internal HD boot. So I didn't login, an restarted instead, pressing ALT
  5. Could select finally SSD 1, and successfully booted from this
  6. When arrived in finder, I re-connected all other drives and the HUB.

SSD 1 & SSD 2 have the nearly the usual speed again, with a little drop (440MB/s before to 420 now).

HD 1: Dramatic drop from 240 to 130

HD 2: not measurable, as it's Time Machine and read only. I'll update this on the feeling while making the next backup.Only experience: Restoring from TimeMachine took ages yesterday, reporting transfer speed of 10-20 MB/s (!!). Anyway, not sure if these transfer rates reports by TimeMachine restoring are reliable. But,yes, it took long. Toooo long...

HD 3: seems to be as before, around some 30 MBs (as said, for this little friend I could deal with this for a while, anyway I remember it has some 60-80 before, but not sure)

Conclusion: The Security Update really seems to have changed something in the whole USB Bus (which should be clearly declared, as it's not only software update, but somehow affecting vulnerably sensitive hardware setups and environments. This is more like doing a firmware update, a process that – guess everyone will agree – you think at least twice before firing the missile)

My temporary fix for now will be: No shutdowns, only sleep mode (Sorry Greta, I like trees too, but...)

Any comments welcome, and again: Apple, please fix and don't get back to late 90's Mac OS 9.5.X crap

"Happy" new year ;-)

Dec 18, 2020 8:32 PM in response to steve626

Back after many hours away doing stuff. Machine STILL on Apple logo with no progress bar at all.

Its hung. Thats undeniable.

And thats after a totally clean reinstall OS. Plenty of machine RAM. Plenty of free space on the card. Manual Dload of DMG and installed manually right from card pckg.

As cute as the article reads, my Sys.Inf copy/paste says its

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus:

Internal Memory Card Reader:

Product ID: 0x8406

Vendor ID: 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)

Version: 8.20

Serial Number: 000000000820

Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec (=625MB/s) (=5000Mb/s)

Its not on the USB 2.0 'only hi speed' bus shown taking care of other items...whatever... lets pretend its exaggerating by several factors. They do clock down from there in the controller, but its not safe to say to a point 'much slower than desktops' ... if its decent enough as a boot disk slot, its NOT going to take hours or days to do any install or update. Never did before, I dont expect it change currently for any reason.

Its what the CARD pretends to live up to (usually exaggerated), and if it also passes a few of my drive testing apps for constant SD vid speeds or multiple proxy video stream speeds, its more than fine for such tasks as an 'update'. Im not going to entertain assumptions all that is going to be less taxing than a singular update procedure.

Previous experience has proven it fine already, many times before, over a variety of spec'd cards I have. Its not the bus. Its not the card. Its not even comparable to other larger installs from Apple or sec updates. THIS TIME, and this update, is not normal.

If I didnt have confidence in the boot up speed or functional speed of an SDHD (it tests out faster I/O than the internal HD that came with my Mac Mini, THAT SDHD is a bit slower and noticably slower than the internal HD), then I wouldnt have happily used this methodology all these years.

The card is one of the slow ones but has had LARGER install pckgs used on it, and some of the others faced the same challenges with their installs and security updates from 10.12 thru each increment to the 10.15

I think making the 'assumption' that an install pckg is going to steadily stream past the write speed of the card is sketch at best.

You also seemed to miss the part the complete install already took place, I watched the install stages with indicators... this was the cold, finalized NORMAL BOOT stage. All that went as normal and speedy as all the other installs ever did in the past... the 'hang' is new and not appreciated THIS TIME.

Dec 18, 2020 10:26 PM in response to iPadded Brad

You seem to have a lot of misdirected anger. I suggest you redirect it somewhere else if you want anyone in these forums to help you.

Since your computer won't boot from a clean install on the SD card (what is an SDHD, that is a term I have not heard of before, is this an SDHC or SDXC or some other type of card), given that millions have successfully booted from this OS, it seems likely that the SD card (which uses low quality flash memory) could be damaged.

Dec 18, 2020 11:18 PM in response to steve626

What got you so offended to declare what I write as 'a lot of anger'?

Was it from having your copy-paste 'expertise' shown, ignoring my personal experience that shouldn't have been necessary to bring up in all of this? or the machine stats Apple SysInfo gives that contradict your expertise?

SEE WHERE THE C and the X are on the KEYBOARD? (since being overly detailed doesnt seem to be suffice, those two keys are right under the D key...I wont bother mentioning the capacity make and model or format of card as that obviously wouldnt matter to u. FOR ME the tested card speeds are what matters)

Not sure how you can pretend to be literate in spotting that, while ignoring what I already mentioned. Summarized: when I DO NOT apply the SecUp the card boots fine.... multiple times now... but when I apply it in various ways it STOPS booting...unless someone else found a way around a similar problem, I wont be applying this again.

Pretty straight forward, pretty clear, but nothing you gave was warranted, or helpful... I never wrote "Since your computer won't boot from a clean install", those are your words not mine. I gave the process too much time to work and it accomplished nothing, but sure go ahead and stick to 'you must have interrupted the process and wrecked things' conclusion.

Im not going to 'suggest' what you can do with your diagnosis, Im sure you have so many more 'suggestions and criticisms' to amount for more than a few ppl. Just stay out of my timeline from now on.

Now....

ARE THERE OTHERS who have already experienced this and posted it in the forums, who could let the rest of us know if you found a solution? Thanks.

Dec 19, 2020 11:46 AM in response to R4dt

Ya, been thinking the same.

Bummer on the bricking, seems easier to do with apple stuff over the years! Downgrading their stuff if newer OS/iOS doesnt work out well, has been made borknear impossible over time too... good luck, hope no 'newer' purchase has to be made, but thats a staple scripted response Apple Geniuses give... once apple tries to up sell you out of it, try just experimenting via website suggestions, nothing to lose if it doesnt work already, is there? (If not backed up)

Lots of reading and learning first.

Cant expect much help from third party repair places, as Rossmann group points out on Youtube (until they get banned for telling the truth) they show you how apple is making third party repairing near impossible by making the internals pathetic to work with... besides already blocking parts shipments or individual indexing parts NOT to work with anything but the original factory unit...

I see other threads of ppl with externals also having hte same prob, but theirs is on a diff controller chipset and bus, so Im not tainting their thread.

Built-in storage updaters mostly report no probs. Theres a hint of the lesson being taught there.

Whether its SSD via thunderbolt or the using SD card slot (now confirmed on diff SDs for me, the xc and hc), seems to me lots of fail but not internal HD/SSD pathways. (the Mini has a 5800 rpm HD, using its SD is as fast depending on which card/OS combo so far... already known cuz been doing this for years. It can go as high as 10.13 and thats how I use that unit, leaving internal storage untainted by newer OS)

Stands to reason apple would use it to 'weed out', thats one of the ways they do things.

I remember how they weaned us off diskette for CD/DVD, and then got us off that for icloud... when they stopped making SD slot laptops was the pinnacle of my disdain of their methods...

so either buy a bunch of dongle extras (before that ability is also taken away) or rely more and more on icloud. And with this new fail/hassle, even that option looks like its following same demise.

Rather than buy a newer machine which Im sure they always welcome at apple, given the way they taunt new software features IF you get the newer OS and IF you machine can run it (or buy new), I now prefer to use a newer OS ONLY (yay SD SLOT) if browser https isnt supported any longer on a preferred older one, or if an app maker ONLY has it out on the newer OS.

I can live without the extra expense of buying newer, just for a poop emoji or two... So I think my conclusion is solidly looking at NOT BOTHERING with the SecUp, and using the highly risky OS for non high value operations only when needed, and sticking to hte older OS that IS more secure...

The hassle hasnt been worth it. And I dont see ppl with same set of probs having figured out and shared a way to get around this yet.

Im sure Apple will eventually 'take care of ppl like me' in the near future as well.

Jan 2, 2021 12:23 PM in response to SkyFires

Nope, to be honest, although working on Mac all my life, never knew this one. But by the way, something interesting yesterday: Suddenly a modal popped up, informing me that some firmware has been changed, and if I want to send this information to Apple (the usual stuff like when something crashed) But interesting was one hand the type of the window (did look slightly different than usual, I forget to make a screenshot, blame on me,..). And second, this happened "long" time after I made my system working again (so the next day...). And I haven't done anything then on the system...

security update 2024 Catalina 10.15.7 hangs after install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.