Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Hotspot won't work (connected through cable)

I was successfully using Personal Hotspot to connect my laptop to the internet with Lightning-USB cable while my iPhone was on iOS 13.x. Then I updated my iOS to 14.x (can't quite remember the exact version) and everything went fine for a couple of days. And then all of a sudden my internet connection dropped and never came back up again, my iPhone still had this blue bar on the top of the screen which indicates a connection and my laptop was still connected to the same network it was connected before.

I tried:

1. Rebooting my device
  2. Resetting my Network Settings
  3. Updating my iOS 14.x to 14.3
  4. Connecting to another USB port
  5. Connecting my iPhone to another laptop

None of the above seem to change anything. My iPhone still indicates a connection as well as my laptop shows me connection to iPhone's Personal Hotspot, yet I can't connect to the internet.

However, connecting through WiFi Hotspot instead of direct USB connection works but it's not an option for me.

I also tried connecting another iPhone, it's all the same, direct connection gives indication but no internet connection, over WiFi Hotspot works perfectly well.

I appreciate any help.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 12:00 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 21, 2020 7:59 AM in response to dei_one

Hello, dei_one!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having issues connecting to the hotspot on your iPhone. Check out this article If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular). This article will give you additional steps you can take for issues connecting to your personal hotspot, as well as the next steps to take if you need to get more help.

Cheers!

Personal Hotspot won't work (connected through cable)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.