Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk space in imovie

I cannot import media into iMovie because of an error message regarding disk space. I have the 2TB plan and my mac shows plenty of available space. I've deleted unneeded media from my iMovie library. Please advise.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 8:11 AM

Hi, sheepshoop1,

You might try redownloading iMovie, as that procedure has sometimes cured insufficient disk space errors in cases where the disk space is in fact sufficient. .

To redownload iMovie, move the iMovie 10 app from your Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. (Don't touch the iMovie Library itself, that is in the Movies folder. It is separate from the iMovie app. If you delete the library you will be deleting all of your projects.) Once you have put your iMovie app in the trash, sign in at the online app store and click on your name at the bottom of the app store sidebar. That will reveal your purchases, including iMovie 10. Redownload iMovie from there. After you have successfully redownloaded and everything works fine, you can empty the trash of your old app. If for some reason you are not able to redownload, then move the iMovie app from the trash back into the Applications folder.

Once you have redownloaded, see if you can import media into iMovie.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 8:11 AM in response to sheepshoop1

Hi, sheepshoop1,

You might try redownloading iMovie, as that procedure has sometimes cured insufficient disk space errors in cases where the disk space is in fact sufficient. .

To redownload iMovie, move the iMovie 10 app from your Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. (Don't touch the iMovie Library itself, that is in the Movies folder. It is separate from the iMovie app. If you delete the library you will be deleting all of your projects.) Once you have put your iMovie app in the trash, sign in at the online app store and click on your name at the bottom of the app store sidebar. That will reveal your purchases, including iMovie 10. Redownload iMovie from there. After you have successfully redownloaded and everything works fine, you can empty the trash of your old app. If for some reason you are not able to redownload, then move the iMovie app from the trash back into the Applications folder.

Once you have redownloaded, see if you can import media into iMovie.

-- Rich

Dec 18, 2020 9:29 PM in response to sheepshoop1

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, you mention a 'plan' of 2TB which sounds like iCloud storage. iCloud storage is different than storage on your device itself. To check this, go to the Apple > About this Mac > Storage. Sorry if that is remedial, but I want to start from the same initial point.

What does the error message say? Is your disk partitioned?

Thanks for the additional information and look forward to hearing more about this so I can offer help.

-Michael

disk space in imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.