Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2009 Macbook Pro wont work properly after HD replacement

Dear community. I am in need of some

serious help.

I have a Macbook Pro from mid 2009 that was active until a month ago, when it would start crashing when started. I handed it to a friend and we found out that the issue was with the HD, which we promptly exchanged for a new one.

I have a Time Capsule and curiously couldn’t reach the last backup made in it. It only allowed me to get a back up from

2013, and so the operational system is also from that year.

When the HD was exchanged, we managed to get the latest backup from the old one, but since the OS is from 2013, many files and applications won’t work (fx. Safari, Chrome and Numbers, to name a few).

For some reason, app store says the only 2 purchased items I had are OS X Mountain Lion and Mavericks, and I can’t seem to get hold of Yosemite, which was the version I had running before this whole thing started.

I did download it from somewhere, but can’t install it due to Apple having changed the certificates. I read online I could try to change the date through Terminal and that would allow me to install it, but Terminal won’t allow me to change the date (I don’t have permission, even when I change users).

I am in a f*cked up situation where I live in Denmark, where there is no apple store to go to, and thus can’t have it fixed properly. Not to mention the Corona situation, where I can’t travel to Germany or another country that would have a Apple store to see about it.

I have no money to get a new computer, and to be honest don’t see the need to, as this is working well enough and in perfect shape - if it wasn’t for this Apple greed to force me to getting more apple stuff when they still work fine.

I need to start a Master in Architecture next year and will need a computer up and running smoothly with all the heavy softwares I am supposed to work with, as it was just before this crash, and am in need of preparing a Portfolio for the applications for next month, and I am completely trapped and in need of some serious help to go through this mess.

Could anyone please help me get my computer back up and running? I am really desperate and don’t know what else to do.

I thank you a million times for your empathy and time in advance.

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 1:19 PM

Your laptop can run macOS 10.11 El Capitan. You can find the link to the installer in this Apple article along with instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

While you would be better off running macOS 10.11, you can also find a link to the macOS 10.10 Yosemite installer here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

FYI, many times it is possible to recover data from a bad hard drive depending on the exact failure and extent of the failure. You could try contacting a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack for a free estimate. Both vendors are recommended by Apple. If you are unwilling to pay a professional you could attempt to recover the data yourself by performing a bit for bit low level clone of the bad hard drive to an equal or larger size drive. I've recovered data from a lot of bad hard drives this way. A professional service is best and you only get one chance at recovering your data so choose wisely.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 1:19 PM in response to alr4432

Your laptop can run macOS 10.11 El Capitan. You can find the link to the installer in this Apple article along with instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

While you would be better off running macOS 10.11, you can also find a link to the macOS 10.10 Yosemite installer here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

FYI, many times it is possible to recover data from a bad hard drive depending on the exact failure and extent of the failure. You could try contacting a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack for a free estimate. Both vendors are recommended by Apple. If you are unwilling to pay a professional you could attempt to recover the data yourself by performing a bit for bit low level clone of the bad hard drive to an equal or larger size drive. I've recovered data from a lot of bad hard drives this way. A professional service is best and you only get one chance at recovering your data so choose wisely.

Dec 21, 2020 2:27 AM in response to HWTech

Hi @HWTech!

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will try this procedure and let you know as soon as I do.

As for the old HD and data, thank you for the input. The data is already recovered and safe in a couple of computers just waiting for the system and softwares to run again. Hopefully those will be recovered and will run smoothly again as well. :)

Mid 2009 Macbook Pro wont work properly after HD replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.