Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this 85W MacBook Pro charger fake?

My charger for the MBP died and I found a new one at a computer dealer.  Advertised as bulk and so it does not come in the retail packaging.  

And yes, it looks the same and I am not sure if it is a fake.  

For one this one has a serial number where my old one does not.

It is made in China but by a different company.

Is there a certain way to tell if it is real or not?  Like in ‘about this mac’ for example?

Anybody know if it is a fake or not or how to be sure? 

Thanks. Below some pics.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 10:02 AM

15 replies

Dec 19, 2020 12:46 PM in response to ChangeAgent

Does the weight seem the same? Most counterfeits weigh less (sometimes much less) because they skimp on internal components.

Are there any visible defects or blemishes in the brick or the cable or connector? Does the plastic of the brick look & feel the same as the original?

Does the printing on the adapters look the same?

The older Apple chargers put the serial number on the charger like that, but more recent chargers put the serial number into the bottom of the opening where the AC Cord or Duckhead adapter connect.

The packaging looks like what Apple uses, but I've never seen a Japanese packaged one so I don't know. I know years ago (back in the PPC days) we had to purchase power adapters in bulk from a reputable third party vendor. While they looked identical even with the Apple logo on the brick and they even worked just fine, the barrel types were much harder to insert into the laptops to the point I thought we would break something (never occurred with a known genuine Apple charger). We used them because we had no choice since we could not purchase any directly from Apple at the time (I forget the reason Apple had run out of them).

The best way to know if you have a genuine Apple charger is by purchasing it from a known reputable vendor and authorized Apple reseller or directly from Apple.

Dec 20, 2020 1:28 AM in response to kaz-k

kaz-k wrote:

Hi,
It's a fake. Yellow seal say in Japanese "Be careful, it would be getting hot"
Original doesn't have such caution.

Aha, I did not realise there is Japanese on it. was suspecting it to be the same as the English text. 

The yellow sticker is also something that made me suspicious, even thought the shop advertises it as a Apple product and the txt seems to indicate it is a real Apple product sold as bulk. 

Googling more after posting here I also noted that most of the fake shops (reports/cautions in forums, eBay and Amazon, etc.) say its is a bulk item. 

Anyway thanks. 

Dec 20, 2020 1:48 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:

Does the weight seem the same? Most counterfeits weigh less (sometimes much less) because they skimp on internal components.

there is a minimal difference of 10 gram.

Are there any visible defects or blemishes in the brick or the cable or connector? Does the plastic of the brick look & feel the same as the original?

not that i can see

Does the printing on the adapters look the same?

more or less, besides form the manufacturing company being a different one.

The older Apple chargers put the serial number on the charger like that, but more recent chargers put the serial number into the bottom of the opening where the AC Cord or Duckhead adapter connect.

my old one (see pic) has no serial number and it came with a MBP.

The packaging looks like what Apple uses, but I've never seen a Japanese packaged one so I don't know. I know years ago (back in the PPC days) we had to purchase power adapters in bulk from a reputable third party vendor. While they looked identical even with the Apple logo on the brick and they even worked just fine, the barrel types were much harder to insert into the laptops to the point I thought we would break something (never occurred with a known genuine Apple charger). We used them because we had no choice since we could not purchase any directly from Apple at the time (I forget the reason Apple had run out of them).

I see. and indeed the yellow sticker is the first thing that made me wonder...

The best way to know if you have a genuine Apple charger is by purchasing it from a known reputable vendor and authorized Apple reseller or directly from Apple.

yes I agree, I thought this shop was a dealer. but it turns out they are not.

Anyway thanks for you extensive answer.

Dec 21, 2020 5:29 PM in response to ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent wrote:

my old one (see pic) has no serial number and it came with a MBP.

I understand. On the newer power adapters Apple puts the serial number into the area to the right in your picture down inside the hole where the pins are located for the AC Cord/Duckhead adapter. If you look into the hole you should see the serial number.

When in doubt return it if possible and purchase one directly from Apple.

Dec 21, 2020 11:26 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech wrote:

I understand. On the newer power adapters Apple puts the serial number into the area to the right in your picture down inside the hole where the pins are located for the AC Cord/Duckhead adapter. If you look into the hole you should see the serial number.

OMG indeed, well spotted.

When in doubt return it if possible and purchase one directly from Apple.

well this one claimed to be (via eBay) and they have now agreed to take it back.

They claimed that I could check the serial number on the Apple site to see it is real. Of course you can not.

I now ordered direct form Apple.

Dec 23, 2020 1:23 AM in response to ChangeAgent

I did some more digging and this link gives a good synopses.

https://beetstech.com/blog/oem-magsafe-chargers-vs-counterfeits-teardown-for-truth

I bought mine via eBay and eBay does not seem to be interested in doing something about it.  The shop I bought it from suggested I put the serial number in at the Apple site.  Apple tells me there is no such possibility for the charger.  So probably another indicator.

Anyway, send it back for a refund after getting one from the Apple Shop directly (believe it or not that was the cheapest compared to all the official dealers).  Comparing the suspected fake with the real thing there is little one can see.  Only difference was that the serial number is like my old one printed above the pins and not like on the suspected fake one embedded in front of it (see first pic).

I am posting this update in the hope it helps somebody with the same dilemma.

PS I also found several posts where people complain that the suspected fakes do not last, get boiling hot, and that there are cases where they fried the MBP.

Is this 85W MacBook Pro charger fake?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.