Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages and Numbers

When I tried to open Pages or Numbers file, I get a message "File is damaged and cant be opened. You should move it to trash." But I can open the file by opening the Pages or Numbers app first, then the file.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 11:57 AM

Usually, when Pages or Numbers informs that a file is damaged, it is game over. What you report is strange that it will allow you to open the so-called "damaged" file via the open panel. Save the file again, formally quit Pages, and see if double-clicking the same file still reports it as damaged, or not. If so, you might consider rebooting the Mac, and trying the same document again afterward.

There is a dedicated Pages for Mac Support Community, and one for Numbers too, for future posts on these applications.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 11:57 AM in response to MBruin

Usually, when Pages or Numbers informs that a file is damaged, it is game over. What you report is strange that it will allow you to open the so-called "damaged" file via the open panel. Save the file again, formally quit Pages, and see if double-clicking the same file still reports it as damaged, or not. If so, you might consider rebooting the Mac, and trying the same document again afterward.

There is a dedicated Pages for Mac Support Community, and one for Numbers too, for future posts on these applications.

Dec 19, 2020 3:31 PM in response to VikingOSX

I rebooted my iMac and still the same message. It's not just one file but all Pages and Numbers files.

I deleted the Pages and Numbers apps and tried to download Numbers app from Apps Store. However, it is just stuck in download and will not complete the download. Will not let me reboot. Help, what do I do next.

Pages and Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.