Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages damages my file and I cannot open it

I have been working with the pages file. Suddenly, the pages closed by itself and when I tried to open the file again it gives me error message that the file is damaged and cannot be open.

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 12:30 PM

Quit Pages from the application menu, and then launch it again while pressing the option key. This prevents it from opening in its previous application state and may allow you to open that Pages document.

However, if Pages crashed while writing that document, it may be permanently damaged, and your only recourse would be to restore the document from your Time Machine backup at a timeframe preceding when Pages quit. Without a Time Machine backup, the document is not recoverable.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 12:30 PM in response to AnzorA

Quit Pages from the application menu, and then launch it again while pressing the option key. This prevents it from opening in its previous application state and may allow you to open that Pages document.

However, if Pages crashed while writing that document, it may be permanently damaged, and your only recourse would be to restore the document from your Time Machine backup at a timeframe preceding when Pages quit. Without a Time Machine backup, the document is not recoverable.

Nov 27, 2021 5:54 AM in response to AnzorA

Editing a Pages document on a network drive that is not iCloud is risky as you have discovered. In the future, I would do all file I/O locally with Pages, and then if you must, copy it to the network drive. And then, only if that network drive supports Apple document formats and does not strip Finder tags as do Google Drive, DropBox, Box, and probably Microsoft's OneDrive.

Pages damages my file and I cannot open it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.