Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After clean installation of MacOS Big Sur, 2 Volumes appeared that I did not create on my SSD. (I explain)

First of all, excuse my English I am Brazilian. Yesterday I restored my MacMini 2014, formatting the SSD using the "Disk Utility" deleting all volumes, leaving only one called "Macintosh SSD". I followed the installation that went well, everything is working perfectly. But when I enter the "Disk Utility" I see 3 volumes (Photo) inside the Macintosh SSD, the one with the giant name appeared, and another one called Macintosh SSD - Data Could someone explain or point me to an article that I can read about? I didn't understand why these two volumes were created, mainly the giant name "com.apple.os.update-5523D ..." Would it be possible to rename and put a more friendly, less strange name? Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 6:27 PM

Those are normal.

The drive is split into an OS volume mounted read-only and a Data volume with all of your stuff.

The item you have highlighted is a secure snapshot of the OS and is dynamically created.

No, you can't rename it and it doesn't appear anywhere but in Disk Utility, so I'm not sure why it needs a friendly name.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 6:27 PM in response to rak1ras

Those are normal.

The drive is split into an OS volume mounted read-only and a Data volume with all of your stuff.

The item you have highlighted is a secure snapshot of the OS and is dynamically created.

No, you can't rename it and it doesn't appear anywhere but in Disk Utility, so I'm not sure why it needs a friendly name.

After clean installation of MacOS Big Sur, 2 Volumes appeared that I did not create on my SSD. (I explain)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.