Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird disk setup with 2 volume groups

My Mac OS show a weird setup on disk utilily.

I have only one SSD drive on the macbook, but disk utility shows 2 volume groups, 2 system volumes and 2 data volumes.

I think it may be impacting the mac performance.

What should I do?

Reseting the mac to factory setting will resolve it and show only one disk as it should?

thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 7:33 AM

joaoh82@gmail wrote:

I have only one SSD drive on the macbook, but disk utility shows 2 volume groups, 2 system volumes and 2 data volumes.

What should I do?

Reseting the mac to factory setting will resolve it and show only one disk as it should?

thanks!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6805aa7e-44db-4103-9e10-36ae09b31ef2

here is a clean install of macOS 12.4 Monterey by comparison:

Volumes share space freely with the container at no penality

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

If in doubt look at the mount point:

from Disk Utility.app you can see the mount point

One will be mounted at /System/Volumes/Data this is the one you want to keep,

The other will be mounted at /Volumes and you can simply use the “ -“ to delete it.

You can always erase/reformat/initialize the parent drive if you have a bigger issue—then you reinstall the macOS, then you restore your user data from backup.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2022 7:33 AM in response to Cacresder

joaoh82@gmail wrote:

What should I do?

thanks!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6805aa7e-44db-4103-9e10-36ae09b31ef2

here is a clean install of macOS 12.4 Monterey by comparison:

Volumes share space freely with the container at no penality

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

If in doubt look at the mount point:

from Disk Utility.app you can see the mount point

One will be mounted at /System/Volumes/Data this is the one you want to keep,

The other will be mounted at /Volumes and you can simply use the “ -“ to delete it.

You can always erase/reformat/initialize the parent drive if you have a bigger issue—then you reinstall the macOS, then you restore your user data from backup.

Jul 4, 2022 4:34 PM in response to Cacresder

By default later versions of macOS now hide the physical drives and hidden Containers from view so you won't see everything as shown in the screenshots provided by @leroydouglas. To reveal the physical drives and hidden Containers you need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that these items appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. This will give a be better view of the whole entire drive layout. However, later versions of macOS (11.x+) may hide some of the relationships between the various APFS volumes even when using command line utilities which normally reveal everything.

Here are a couple of Apple articles regarding the new drive layouts beginning with macOS 10.15+:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

Weird disk setup with 2 volume groups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.