You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

setting up new iPhone 12 from 6s

I just got my new iPhone 12 Pro and was trying to switch the sim card. Needless to say, my old 6s sim card doesn't fit the new phone's tray. What do I do next?

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 5:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 6:29 PM

I checked and the iPhone 6s uses the same sized nano SIM card. I assume you got the sim free version versus a carrier option. If fir some reason your nano SIM card isn’t fitting you would need fo have your carrier provide you with a new one. That may be a good idea anyway so you can get the 5G SIM card. Someone on here has repeatedly said there is no such thing but personally I had to switch to the 5G SIM card that I got with my phone because using my previous one did not automatically provide me access to the 5G service so regardless it does not hurt to get it. Only thing I can think of is your SIM card is damaged or it’s not being installed correctly (seems simple but it happens). Unless your old iPhone is older and used the micro sim (which was before the 6/6s series....maybe back to the 4 or before).

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2020 6:29 PM in response to JulieLin922

I checked and the iPhone 6s uses the same sized nano SIM card. I assume you got the sim free version versus a carrier option. If fir some reason your nano SIM card isn’t fitting you would need fo have your carrier provide you with a new one. That may be a good idea anyway so you can get the 5G SIM card. Someone on here has repeatedly said there is no such thing but personally I had to switch to the 5G SIM card that I got with my phone because using my previous one did not automatically provide me access to the 5G service so regardless it does not hurt to get it. Only thing I can think of is your SIM card is damaged or it’s not being installed correctly (seems simple but it happens). Unless your old iPhone is older and used the micro sim (which was before the 6/6s series....maybe back to the 4 or before).

setting up new iPhone 12 from 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.