Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long does it take for Spotlight to completely re-index the system?

After upgrading to Big Sur, I noticed a strange way the system worked, for example, some operations began to take too long:

• Alfred stops searching for some applications
  • When you select a tag in Finder, files with that tag are displayed after about 30 seconds
  • unnecessary Tag is deleted from the system after half a minute or later
  • In Mail app, switching between smart folders also takes up to a minute. I open one smart-folder and after switching to another, it displays the mails from the previous folder and only after some time the mails from the current folder appear

I reset NVRAM and SCM, then ran a full Spotlight reindex and after 24 hours the index scale has barely moved.

At the same time: fs_usage mdworker mds shows that the service is doing something on the disk and does not hang.

If anyone has encountered something like this, how did you solve the problem?

PS I apologize for my English, it is not my native language

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 5:42 AM

It depends on how much data there is to index, but it really shouldn't take very long. I've never timed it, but it doesn't take a but a few minutes to index by 100 GB of data.

It sounds like something is blocking the indexing. I don't know how to figure out what that is, though.

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 20, 2020 7:28 AM in response to 100 years of solitude

Just wondering if reinstalling the OS via recovery will fix the problem

Hard to tell, but I think it is likely something you have installed that might be affecting it, so reinstalling would maybe fix it.

whether it is necessary to reinstall the installed programs after that?

You might have to download Pages, Numbers, and things like that if you don't Migrate your Apps, which is probably a good idea to not migrate them. Reinstall any third-party apps as required, and watch to see if you start getting the same problems after installing each.

How long does it take for Spotlight to completely re-index the system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.