Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(10 months old problem STILL recurring!) Mac Mini M1 - Spotlight & Finder still unable to find the files even if it is there.

Monterey 12.6.1, Using 1 TB NVME on a 256GB base M1 Mini.

It's February 2023 and I am still having recurring problems from earlier threads. TLDR; spotlight no longer finds any files in my external NVME. nor does it actually able to find files via finder. Very frustrating.

Not able to search in Folder in Finder - Apple Community

Finder cannot search file folders on Mont… - Apple Community

The 10 month old evidence ~ https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253818487?&previousThread=253479408021

Some people suggest "restarting" the entire spotlight process. I tried dragging my NVME into the spotlight and got a privacy list error.

10 months I believe this problem been lingering. And still plaguing M1.

Anyone else having the same problem?

C85.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 7:12 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 16, 2023 7:11 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis, it is 1TB Kingston KC2500. APFS. connected to an external Volans Dock. Not the most ideal in terms of speed, I know.

Thank you for the prompt response much appreciated. So I did enter the above command into terminal and the screenshot is what I get.

Although very interestingly, I brought the quick search just on a whim as soon as upon entering the above in the Terminal and I am seeing the "indexing" commencement and it's now in progress. Strange. So is the above terminal a re-indexing command or some sort?

I shall report once again I have the time to see if there is anything new or a change tomorrow. Would rather wait until it finishes fully whatever it needs doing.

Regards, C85.

Feb 15, 2023 9:44 AM in response to Cascad85

How is that drive formatted?

Did you try the corresponding command in the Terminal:

sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/myVolume

Here /Volumes/myVolume stands for the actual path to your drive.

The easiest way to do this is to type "sudo mdutil -E "

(minus the quotes, but WITH the spaces, including a space at the end, after the letter E)

Do NOT press enter;

Drag the drive over the Terminal;

NOW press enter

You will be asked for your password. Type it (blindly, there are no *** or ••• appearing or anything), and press enter.

Does it do anything, or does it err out also?

(10 months old problem STILL recurring!) Mac Mini M1 - Spotlight & Finder still unable to find the files even if it is there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.