Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to search in Folder in Finder

On my new MacBook Pro I can no longer search in Folder. A search in the whole mac is ok, but not when I restrict the search to the folder I am currently in. Why?

See screen shot (in Swedish, put you'll get the point). I know the file I search for is in this specific folder (named "Folder" in this example), but my search in this tab return no findings. However, If I use "search this mac" tab instead, the file will be found.

(I am using MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 on a MacBookPro 2021 with M1 Max, 64 Gb)

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 5:59 PM

I have managed to fix this. (For reference, I have tried re-indexing Spotlight using command line, and does not work).

1. Open System Preferences and go to Spotlight's Privacy tab.
  2. Add the entire hard disk INTO the Privacy list.
  3. Maybe wait 30s.
  4. Remove the hard disk FROM the Privacy list.

Spotlight will re-index. After finish re-indexing, the search in folder works for me.

(To see if Spotlight is indexing, use Command+Space to invoke Spotlight, and type in something. Wait a second. You should see a progress bar to show indexing progress)

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 5:59 PM in response to Doug_Herbert

I have managed to fix this. (For reference, I have tried re-indexing Spotlight using command line, and does not work).

1. Open System Preferences and go to Spotlight's Privacy tab.
  2. Add the entire hard disk INTO the Privacy list.
  3. Maybe wait 30s.
  4. Remove the hard disk FROM the Privacy list.

Spotlight will re-index. After finish re-indexing, the search in folder works for me.

(To see if Spotlight is indexing, use Command+Space to invoke Spotlight, and type in something. Wait a second. You should see a progress bar to show indexing progress)

Dec 18, 2021 10:02 AM in response to Mohaha

Mohaha wrote:

On my new MacBook Pro I can no longer search in Folder. A search in the whole mac is ok, but not when I restrict the search to the folder I am currently in. Why?

See screen shot (in Swedish, put you'll get the point). I know the file I search for is in this specific folder (named "Folder" in this example), but my search in this tab return no findings. However, If I use "search this mac" tab instead, the file will be found.

(I am using MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 on a MacBookPro 2021 with M1 Max, 64 Gb)

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/556ce2ee-518b-4add-9894-6fbc08acc543

Finder>Preferences>Advanced

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201732

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/finder-mchlp2605/mac

If no resolve you can reindex the spotlight database— from the Terminal.app simply copy&paste:

sudo mdutil -E /

(note: your psswd will not echo, type it in anyway to proceed use the enter/return key)

Not able to search in Folder in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.