Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone ringer volume increases to max volume when connecting to car via bluetooth

After I installed iOS 14.3 on my iPhone 12 Pro, the phone's ringer now increases to maximum volume every time I connect it to my car via bluetooth. Never happened prior to 14.3. I assume this is a bug, but wanted to see if others were experiencing it or if there was a possible solution. Thanks!

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 2:35 PM

I’m having the same issue, ringer volume going to max, after connecting to my vehicle vehicle Bluetooth. Vehicle has Ford SYNC 3. I have iOS 14.3 installed.

Has anyone seen a fix for this? @apple will there be a fix?

43 replies

Apr 6, 2021 7:54 AM in response to sourcreamvsgreekyogurt

Also looking for a solution, have the same issue with my iPhone8 and my wifes SE 2020 since iOS 14.3. As soon as we connect via BT to one of our Amazon ECHOs, the value of the internal volume increases to MAX (Echo is still on volume 5 out of 10) and stays there after disconnect. So next time an alarm or call arrives the internal speaker is at 100% volume and this slowly destroys the speakers, it already started crackling. Please fix this finally!

Dec 22, 2020 12:36 PM in response to sourcreamvsgreekyogurt

Hello, sourcreamvsgreekyogurt,

It's our understanding that your volume is changed to maximum when you connect your iPhone to the CarPlay. Here are some steps that may help you with this. First, make sure to restart your iPhone. Sometimes a simple restart can help resolve issues. Then check to see if there's a setting on your CarPlay that might have volume adjustments when devices are connected. This may require you to contact the manufacturer along with checking for a firmware update. Also test with another phone. These steps can help us narrow down why this is happening.

Keep us updated.

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2021 11:07 AM in response to cp from OH

Hello, this is still happening after the 14.4 update. For me, it's not with Carplay over bluetooth, but just plain bluetooth connection to my car (2018 Subaru Legacy).

*After some testing, I've noticed that when connecting the ringer increases to whatever volume you previously had your phone at when connected to the bluetooth device. Ie: While connected to my car via bluetooth and listening to a podcast, if I decrease the volume of the audio on my phone to 1/2, the next time I connect to the car via bluetooth, my ringer will adjust to 1/2. This is an annoying bug that needs to get fixed.

Feb 19, 2021 12:48 PM in response to 6x6

Precisely:

The iPhone has separate volume levels for each "mode" and connection.

• Bluetooth volume levels are different from speaker volume levels
  • Phone call volume levels are different from music player volume levels

and so on.

So for example, if your phone is set to connect via Bluetooth, to adjust the volume of a phone call, you have to adjust the volume during a phone call.

iPhone ringer volume increases to max volume when connecting to car via bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.