Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes albums won't play on Apple TV4

My iTunes music albums won't play on Apple TV. they are fin on iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone 12Pro Max. This seems to be a recent development. The album artwork shows, but when I hit play, I get a grey screen with spinning loading icon. Have tried rebooting; doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 1:08 PM

Greetings, dshellhouse!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having issues playing your iTunes music on your Apple TV. First, check out this article to Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices. This will allow you to be sure you have Home Sharing set up properly for playing your iTunes music on the Apple TV.

"On your Apple TV

To use Home Sharing to access your computer's media library on your Apple TV, sign in to Home Sharing on your Apple TV:

1. Go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Home Sharing.
  2. Select Turn on Home Sharing.
  3. Sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.

After you sign in, follow these steps to access your computer's media library on your Apple TV: 

1. Connect your Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer.
  2. On your computer, open the Music app, Apple TV app, or iTunes for Windows.
  3. On your Apple TV, go to the Home screen, select Computers, and choose a shared library.

You can also view photos from your computer on your Apple TV.

• On your Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Sharing. Click Media Sharing, then select Share Photos with Apple TV.
  • On your PC: Open iTunes for Windows. In the menu bar, go to File > Home Sharing, then select Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV."

Also, you may want to restart your router to rule out any network issues.

Finally, check out this article for How to update your Apple TV to be sure your Apple TV is updated to the latest software available.

Let us know the results ad have a great day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 1:08 PM in response to dshellhouse

Greetings, dshellhouse!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having issues playing your iTunes music on your Apple TV. First, check out this article to Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices. This will allow you to be sure you have Home Sharing set up properly for playing your iTunes music on the Apple TV.

"On your Apple TV

To use Home Sharing to access your computer's media library on your Apple TV, sign in to Home Sharing on your Apple TV:

1. Go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Home Sharing.
  2. Select Turn on Home Sharing.
  3. Sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.

After you sign in, follow these steps to access your computer's media library on your Apple TV: 

1. Connect your Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer.
  2. On your computer, open the Music app, Apple TV app, or iTunes for Windows.
  3. On your Apple TV, go to the Home screen, select Computers, and choose a shared library.

You can also view photos from your computer on your Apple TV.

• On your Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Sharing. Click Media Sharing, then select Share Photos with Apple TV.
  • On your PC: Open iTunes for Windows. In the menu bar, go to File > Home Sharing, then select Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV."

Also, you may want to restart your router to rule out any network issues.

Finally, check out this article for How to update your Apple TV to be sure your Apple TV is updated to the latest software available.

Let us know the results ad have a great day!

Dec 26, 2020 2:34 PM in response to AppleJen77

I have this same issue, and it doesn't actually have anything to do with "iTunes". The original poster was referring to their personal library rather than music streamed from the Apple Music service in general. Albums in the library that appear to have matched with an album in Apple Music seem to open fine, but everything else in the library won't open. The music is still playable via workaround of clicking play when the album is selected, but if you try to open it up, the track list doesn't display (just spinning icon).

For me personally, I have tried signing out of iCloud and also did a full reset of the AppleTV and setting it up as new again. None of this has worked. It seems to be a problem that a lot of people are having, has been going on for at least a couple weeks, and is specific to AppleTV (everything works fine on other devices).

Jan 6, 2021 9:09 AM in response to dshellhouse

In my case, disk two of a double album won't play on Apple TV. I can play the album's songs from the song list, versus the album list. It plays fine on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. I have home sharing enabled and also pay for iTunes Match. I believe in this case the album was loaded from the CD into iTunes many years ago. I haven't found any other albums with this problem, but I have hundreds of album in my library.

iTunes albums won't play on Apple TV4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.