Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie

I imported old footage from mini DV tapes via the camcorder and a converter. iMovie detected the converter and took the import as it played on the camcorder. So far so good, but iMovie imported the video in segments, or at least arranges it as such. When I pull down video segments to the timeline editor I can’t get rid of the gaps between segments to reconstruct the original continuous footage (live music).

The function to delete gaps is not there. I have a new iMac (Dec 2020). Looking at video tutorials I should have an option in the precision editor to say no gaps. There is no precision editor window as far as I can tell, it seems to be missing.

I used Apple support and reset things but nothing changed. Any ideas?

thanks.

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 2:28 PM

Hi, SeattleProject,

iMovie will import in segments corresponding to the time stamps in the movie marking when the camera was activated and deactivated between scenes. If gaps are displaying in the timeline you should be able to eliminate them using the trim function.

If you import using QuickTimePlayer instead of iMovie you will get one continue movie without breaks.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 2:28 PM in response to SeattleProject

Hi, SeattleProject,

iMovie will import in segments corresponding to the time stamps in the movie marking when the camera was activated and deactivated between scenes. If gaps are displaying in the timeline you should be able to eliminate them using the trim function.

If you import using QuickTimePlayer instead of iMovie you will get one continue movie without breaks.

-- Rich

iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.