Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie import dialog stuck in "processing" while recording old MiniDV tapes

This is more of an answer than a question, in case other people have had the same problem. I can't be the only person who struggled through this.

I have a load of mini DV tapes from my old Sony Camcorder ( Model DCR-HC18E PAL) that I have been trying to record in iMovies on my Macbook Pro 2020 version

Firstly, you need to a crazy 'daisy chain' of adapters and leads to to actually connect the camera to the mac.

Secondly my Camcorder is not officially on the compatible list on the mac website but it is still possible to record ( at least for my model)

When I recorded the first tape, it was absolutely fine and there were no problems. With subsequent tapes, the video clips were imported into the iMovie library but when I clicked stop import, it said 'processing' and this never stopped. I tried leaving it overnight but it was still 'processing' the morning after.

The only way to stop this is close the import dialog box but when you do this a window comes up stating' you will stop importing' ( or something similar) If you close anyway, you get the constantly revolving balloon that never stops!

If you quit iMovie, you lose everything in the library - all the clips just disappear.

I tried everything but eventually one thing appeared to work. While it is 'processing' if you pull out the firewire cable out of the camera, the import dialog/'processing' quits and all your recorded videos in the library is still there.

I thought I post this in case others had the same problem.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 16, 2021 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 9:29 AM

Thanks for posting the solution that worked for you.

Although most tape based cameras will be recognized by iMovie, importing from tape can be somewhat hit or miss with iMovie 10. It usually works but sometimes takes some fiddling. Glad you were able to get it working.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 9:29 AM in response to mamta

Thanks for posting the solution that worked for you.

Although most tape based cameras will be recognized by iMovie, importing from tape can be somewhat hit or miss with iMovie 10. It usually works but sometimes takes some fiddling. Glad you were able to get it working.

-- Rich

iMovie import dialog stuck in "processing" while recording old MiniDV tapes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.