Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions problem

I constantly get a message that I do not have permission to perform operations on my home drive (like deleting files, opening folders). I am the only one using this computer. The problems started when I upgraded the OS to Catalina 10;15.7. Please don't tell me to do the "Get Info" trick: I have tried that 3 million times for every file I cannot touch.

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 11:32 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 20, 2020 4:26 PM in response to LouiseK

Where are the files & folders located? If they are located outside of your home user folder, then macOS prevents you from making modifications to the system files which are now located on a read-only volume:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

I have seen File Sharing mess up the permissions to the shared items even if File Sharing is no longer enabled. I forget how I resolved the permissions issue unless it was following the information in the article @rkaufmann87 linked. I might have had to uncheck a box on the "Get Info" section of the enclosing folder as well as it may still have been showing as "shared" even though File Sharing was disabled.

Permissions problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.